Bumpy deposits on eggs

Ealkhas

Hatching
Jul 5, 2021
I have a chicken laying eggs
with bumpy calcium deposits on the narrow end of the egg. I think it is on every egg she lays ever since she started laying. I don't know which chicken it is. The egg quality is fine except that there are sometimes little calcium beads inside as well, which makes them annoying to use. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Attachments

• 20210705_131900.jpg
    20210705_131900.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 15
hello @Ealkhas - welcome to BYC :frow

it is excess calcium. If it is just the one hen laying them, it's idiopathic, and might settle down over time. No reason to be annoyed by it; she can't help it :) If you suspect more than one is laying such eggs, stop adding calcium supplements to their diet and see if it disappears, then resume with lower levels of Ca. Good luck!

I have a girl that does this, our vet said she needs a "reset", and that once she takes a break for molting it should stop, if not it's genetic. Her eggs look identical to yours, but aqua since she is a CCL. I don't know if it will stop, but we have the calcium bead in there too. If she doesn't get enough calcium though her shells are super soft, so I just keep the oyster shell coming for now.

I have one hen who is three years old, and the others are one year. I feed them lay pellets and scraps. I don't know if these eggs are from my older chicken or from one of my young ones, but I suspect a young one because we never had this problem before.

Back
Top Bottom