"Bumpy" eggs

Javafan

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 15, 2012
My Wyandotte has been laying eggs with lots of little hard bump on the top which make the top of the eggs really rough. She also has been laying sometimes while on the roost as I find some soft shelled eggs on the coop floor in the morning. She seems fine, eats, scratches and runs around like the rest of them. They get laying pellets, oyster shells all at will. They also get lettuce, bread soaked in milk (1 or twice a week), yogourt (same) and vinegar in their water (every day). Any ideas of what is going on ? I am a newbie. Thanks

We get the bumpy/rough surfaced eggs, on occasion. They're still the same on the inside. It may just be a product of what they're eating while scratching a pecking. Probably nothing to be concerned over.

Just a kink in the production line with her calcium secretion. The eggs are perfectly edible. The only caution I would throw in the ring is to make she lays daily, or semi-daily. If she stops for no apparent reason (ie not broody) she may be laying internally.

Thanks I will keep an eye one her. Given that I have only 3 hens, I am already on the tope of them plenty
big_smile.png

Another issue I have is with one of my Javas. Got to love them javas! They are so friendly and curious. One of then, Nuggets, follows me everywhere. She used to lay about 5 eggs/week. They were huge, topping the "XL" on the egg scale.

She hasn't laid for 15 days. She laid about 2 eggs/week at the start of May for 3 weeks and then ... nothing. She doesn't seem to be broody, as far as I know. She has stayed in one of the nesting boxes on occasion, just sitting there. There was no huffing or puffing and she would get off and go about her day after a while. SHe has stopped doing that too now.

The other java, Molnut, went broody. She would stay at the bottom of the coop and huff and puff, there was no doubt she was broody. I had to put her in a dog kennel on her own (a cage seems to cruel) for a couple of days twice already since January. She was getting the royal treatment, being brought freshly dug up worms, etc.. She is the only one laying regularly now, go figure !

Anybody have any advice as to what is going on with Nuggets? One thing I noticed; her earlobes (or whatever that fleshy part under her ears is called) were a little discolored. Her comb is nice and red. It seems better now, getting some red back. Could she be spent and taking a break? Her behavior has not changed in terms of eating or appearance.

Thank you for your help.

Back
Top Bottom