Bunny lady's 100 dead rabbits...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by warmfuzzies, Jun 19, 2009.

1. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    I haven't read the article so what im going to say may sound extremely off topic.

But most large scale rabbit breeders, meat OR show (or both as even show rabbits are pretty tastey just not as much meat) can have several hundred rabbits. So if the issue was the quanity and not the animals in suffering conditions then I think that's rediculous that they even raided her place.

Now if the rabbits were starving, sick and dying... that's diff.

[​IMG]

2. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Quote:It doesn't say that they were in poor conditions, just the quanity, and that after they impounded them, they believe she "stole" them back.

3. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:It doesn't say that they were in poor conditions, just the quanity, and that after they impounded them, they believe she "stole" them back.

I'd steal my bunnies back too then! YEESH! that's rediculous!!! they need to realize that atleast in rabbits that's not hoarding...and it's not in chickens too..... [​IMG]

ETA: that'd be like saying someones herd of cattle is hoarding [​IMG] MOOO

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  4. saddina

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Problems for Sakewitz started in October 2006 when police in Hillsboro, about 15 miles west of Portland, found and confiscated nearly 250 rabbits in her home, including about 100 dead ones in freezers and refrigerators.

Police said she broke into the facility where the survivors were being cared for in January 2007 and stole most of them back.

Authorities found her a few days later in Chehalis, Wash., with eight live rabbits and two dead ones in her car.

Another 130 rabbits were recovered at a nearby horse farm. Sakewitz was sentenced in April 2007 to five years probation and was banned from owning or controlling animals.

The quantity and the "dead ones in freezers" makes me wonder if it was a meat operation.

5. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:I agree.
    However, note it says "in her home" if they were physically IN her home 250 rabbits... [​IMG] the smell!

Now if she had them outside in hanging cages or in a rabbit barn... then they just should have left her alone. I also notice they charged her so they dont consider her a hoarder since most hoarders are pittied.. so I think it WAS a meat opperation and just ignorant law people not understanding. *hum*

6. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    They must've found evidence of neglect or maybe she wasn't zoned to have 250 rabbits even if it was a meat operation.

If she had meat in the freezer, I'd imagine they'd say she had 100 carcasses or however many lbs of meat, but since they just called them dead rabbits, I think they were just dead rabbits tossed in there [​IMG]

She sounds like an animal hoarder to me. As much as I love my rabbits, I would NOT live in a car or hotel with a bunch of uncaged rabbits peeing everywhere.

If they were all uncaged, it wouldn't take long for 10 rabbits to go to 250 [​IMG]

7. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:LOL that IS true [​IMG]

8. saddina

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Could be, crazy like ice cream, comes in every flavor. [​IMG]

9. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Songster

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    That was my thought at first too, that it wouldnt be a stretch for some of us to have, say a cow or a deer or 75 chickens in our freezers... [​IMG]

I thought it was funny, especially the 'rabbit restraining order'. Whats up with that??

But, I too noticed it said 'in her house', so that makes a BIG difference. EWWW! [​IMG] And she did have a lot of other dead ones, who would keep a dead rabbit in your car or hotel room?

10. saddina

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Well now, when we applied to be foster parents, our 2 pet bunnies are in a 16sqft hutch in the back yard. They wanted to be sure I know that "livestock" are not allowed "in the house". I told them that they were in a house in the backyard, and litterbox trained to deal with waste, apperantly they mean on the property, although the wording says house. For 2 pet bunnies in the yard I was able to get a waiver, but not without several inspections by the state. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Isn't he just a menance?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: