Bunny question, nest box size

alexanye

Chirping
Oct 20, 2021
I am working on getting set up to add Rabbits to my farm for meat. I have been reading a lot about keeping them with chickens, so that is my plan. I just need to get the nest boxes figured out so I can add them to my coops. Would a 2 foot cube be big enough for a burrow? Is that is too small, what about a 2'x2'x4' area?

If you're going to be breeding them, then keeping them with the chickens will not work. Chickens will eat newborn rabbits, and a chicken coop isn't a very clean environment for the rabbits.
Instead, I'd recommend a tractor setup so the rabbits can stay on fresh grass. Just be sure they can get shade, and are protected from predators.

I am working on getting set up to add Rabbits to my farm for meat. I have been reading a lot about keeping them with chickens, so that is my plan. I just need to get the nest boxes figured out so I can add them to my coops. Would a 2 foot cube be big enough for a burrow? Is that is too small, what about a 2'x2'x4' area?

A common size nestbox for a doe to give birth is about 18 inches long, 10 to 12 inches wide, and 10 to 12 inches high.

That size nestbox is used inside a rabbit cage that has one female rabbit and no other rabbits or other animals.

So it provides a good place for bunnies to be born, like how a chicken nestbox provides a good place for hens to lay eggs. But it does not provide protection from any other animals that might live in the same pen.

If you have rabbits and chickens in the same pen, the hens might want to nest in the places you designed for the rabbits. I don't think the rabbits would enjoy that ;)

My coops are built so I will be able to set up entirely separate nesting areas for both animals that the other can not access.

Back
Top Bottom