Bunny Rancher Ballista Captive Bolt Gun

Tre3hugger

Let Your Freak Flag Fly
Mar 21, 2020
NW Massachusetts
Hey guys. Not sure how many of you out there raise meat rabbits, but the Bunny Rancher Ballista captive bolt gun just came into stock! Also works on poultry, and it is under 75$. Other similar products cost hundreds. Humane dispatching looks incredibly easy with this device. I just ordered one last night and it already shipped! My first litter of rabbits is due on the 23rd. I was leaning toward a rabbit wringer (CD tool) but this came into stock, and is the same price!

https://www.bunnyrancher.com/store/p42/The_Ballista_-_Penetrating_Bolt_Gun_.html

Anyone use one of these before? Thoughts?

You can just snap the neck. It is fast, humane, and cheap.
Well I already bought the gun. I like how with this method the bunny goes from hanging out being pet to lights out immediately. I know for sure there are cheaper ways to do this, but I would argue that if done right this way is the least traumatic/easiest for human and animal. I think it is going to be a little harder for me to dispatch rabbits than my cornish x. So much cuter! I bought the gun with hopes that it would make the process a little easier on me emotionally if I am being honest. I will update on my rabbit thread with my experiences for sure.

As for poultry, I think I will still use my cone and sever the neck arteries but immediately after hit them with the bolt. Right now I pith with my knife, so this will do the same job if I want it to. Here is a video of it being used on poultry.

My grandmother used to pith chickens. It loosened the feathers and she could then dry pick them. No scalding was necessary. I never got the hang of it. I just used a box cutter to sever the veins. For rabbits I snapped the neck. It was easy and death was instantaneous. In the end, you have to use whatever method works for you and what you are comfortable with.

Back
Top Bottom