*BURR Cold chickens!!*

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Tripp16, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Ok so I just took the dogs out and it is FREEZING! I live in NC and it has gotten cold these last few nights, it is around 52 degrees here not including wind chill.....

My question is, will my bantams be ok? I have a rooster and 2 hens. I know my big breed hens will be fine but what about my little ones??? [​IMG]

I cant put a heat lamp out because its to dark to get a drop cord and do all that tonight..... [​IMG]

2. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    I don't think they will need one tonight though I did bring my lone partridge silkie in for the night I am in NC also. but when it gets colder (later OCT/ early NOV) you could put a heat lamp in there.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  3. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    They will be fine, as I said in another thread. I had four young bantams in a tractor coop last year, protected from wind and snow. We stayed well below zero almost all winter and they made it through fine.

4. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I agree, in NC they don't need heat. They are well insulated with their down and feathers. Protect them from any draft on the roost, keep some ventilation open at a high point in the coop to let humidity and ammonia out, and have a wider roost so they can sit on their feet. If you're still worried, add hay so they can cuddle down into it if they want, or put bales of hay along the outside of the wall for added insulation.

If you add a heat lamp and the bulb burns out or power goes out at night, they will be worse off than if they had had no heat, because they won't be acclimated to the cold.

5. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I wouldn't use a heat lamp they can possibly cause a fire. My chickens are loving the cooler weather. I worry more about hot weather. Chickens will normally snuggle next to there neighbor on the roost if their cold.Last winter it was 19 inside my coop & the birds did fine. Chickens wear a down jacket. My only concern in cold weather is keeping the draft off the birds. I don't raise bantams but your bird will be fine in 50 degree weather.

6. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    Cold and Rainy here in wv, they don't seem to care, but everybody is hungier than usual, prob all the bugs are dead, so making sure they have plenty of internal fuel...they are wearing down coats after all!!![​IMG]

7. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Thanks everyone for your replies. They all made it. The hutch they are in has a open wire front I may cover that up during the night.

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Ditto

9. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Quote:Just make sure you leave some spaces for ventilation or you will cause more problems for yourself (and the chickens) than the cold would be.
    sharon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by