1. fowlsessed

fowlsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    Anyone have a business or make any money raising these birds? That's not what it's all about, but it's nice to come out on top while enjoying raising them.
    Thanks,

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    As a kid - long,long ago [​IMG], I made money raising and selling ring neck pheasants and incubating and hatching eggs for others. Everything else I have done with animals has financially cost far more than it has returned. On the other hand, the rewards are great, and frankly, I don't care much for anything but animals, birds, and the outdoors. Yeah my family and friends are very important too. [​IMG]

3. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    There can be a little profit made if you can get cheap food and building materials. It may take a couple years for people to get to know you sell eggs and birds.

On another note. Most of the breeds I have are for preserving the breed/showing, and a few eggs to eat. I have spent over 5K the past 4 years just in bloodlines, coops, fencing, auto water systems, water cooling systems, feed, water bill, electric bill, incubators and other things needed to breed to the SOP.

I spare no expense when it comes to my birds. Many can get by with just turning them loose, never feeding and an old shed as a coop.

I do not try to sell eating eggs anymore. There is a lady a few miles away that gets free bread and other things to feed the birds, a pond where they drink and an old barn as a coop. I cannot compete with $1.50 a dozen.

So depending on how much others are selling birds/eggs for in your area, there may or may not be profit to be made.

4. robopetz

robopetz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2012
    Hawaii
    It depends what kind of birds you are asking about? It all ends up to supply and demand in your area. If its hard to find and demand is high, then yes. If you have allot of people doing the same thing as you then it will probably be hard to sell at a good price.

5. fowlsessed

fowlsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    Thanks for sharing. Yes Sourland, I'm same as you,love raising the birds, but it sure would be nice to get a little financial help from them just for themselves!
    And I was talking about exotic, caged birds in particular here, but really I'am interested about all kinds.

6. ladybirdb12

ladybirdb12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2012
    I breed cockateils AS A HOBBY, not for making money, I go beyond just hand raising them, they are shown to love humans as a flock member, I get a lot of people that loves my babys, but as the money thing lol, not me, I give my birds the best food, I go though about 50 pounds of pellets, and 20 to 30 pounds of top seed, a month but I do have large parrots, not breeders that eat this to, so my cost is about 200 dollars a month, that includes other pellets for my larger birds.
    As a hobby its a lot of fun, and a lot of heart aches.
    you have the cost of an avain vet to meds, food and toys. My cockateils (breeders) are my love they come first, after three clutches of babys they will get a break for 6 months, I don't over load, as in getting so many babys because their is so many parrots that need a forever home.
    I know a person that breeds large parrots, his name is Joe, he told me once that if I had 12 pair of large parrots, you can make money, that vet, food includes this. But no that's not me, parrots needs homes (forever home because they live so long, and the owners die, that leaves a parrot without a home.
    But that's just me, I understand wanting to breed large birds also, I would love to raise a macaw and watch it grow up, just because its something that I would love to do.
    anyways take care, have fun. :p

7. robopetz

robopetz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2012
    Hawaii
    I used to breed cockatiels, lovebirds, and parakeets as a hobby too. I've only gave them away to people who I know would care for them. To me it was just for fun and entertainment. I now just have a sun conure, cockatiel, and lovebird as far as parrots go. Lol. When time and space allows I would love to get an African grey and/or a macaw.

Ladybirdb12 what kind of parrots do you have if ya don't mind?

8. Chambertin

Chambertin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    Funabashi Japan
    My Coop
    I'm on my way back to the US and my wife has always dreamed of having a parrot.
    First of all because they live for so long and can keep her, us and any kids we have company for as long as we can foresee. (I wont last 60 years!)
    Second because they are smart and so much more than just a bird on a shelf.
    Last, she can teach it all kinds of fun things in all the languages we speak.

She saw a really cute one from Japan singing different songs, wish I had the link still.

Anyway, here in China they are terribly expensive and hard to find ones that are bred with love and quality.

If anyone is looking for a good home for a parrot please contact us. We're willing to pay (so long as we can afford it) and really want a lifetime pet.
    Her favorite right now is the African Grey and would be my first choice as an amazing anneversiry present for her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by