Butcher Time - Hogs

I like Ohio Farm Girl's tutorial. Very well done and to the point. You can see how they gut on the ground. Works well, and you have less of a chance of busting the guts. A tarp makes a great clean work area as well.

A few things I've learned after butchering 40+ deer, elk, and bear that might help include:

1. Use zip ties to seal off the penis, bladder, bung hole, etc. The 6-8" ones are what I carry in my pack. They don't come undone. Two zip ties near the bung, and a cut between the two allows you to remove the anus once the animal is hanging.

2. Buy or make a gambrel. Looks like a hanger on steroids.
P1010304.jpg

P1010321.jpg

3. Buy a chain hoist if you are going to be doing this regularly. $40-50 at Harbor Freight. You can move animals up and down with ease, especially if you are a female or young boy. You can see the chain hoist in the pics above.

4. When skinning use the "one dirty hand" and "one clean hand" method. Knife hand is clean, while the other hand draws the skin down.
P1010313.jpg

P1010323.jpg

Both of my boys have it down pretty good now.

5. A Sawzall with a dedicated 12" wood/metal blade is one of the best tools in the world for breaking down an animal. You can split the spine of an elk in about 30 seconds, and it is handy for removing legs, or for cutting out rib sections on pork. Cordless ones are great if you need to cut something REALLY big in half. Toss the blade in the dishwasher after butchering.
P1010300.jpg

OFG - you do need to hang out here more often! none of us here dress our chickens lol! I just got done reading the first page of your blog and have decided, like it or not, you are my friend
big_smile.png

all great tips, Dogfish!

especially the zip ties - we have them by the bushel. one of those "why didnt i think of that" moments for sure..

we used a 'come along' to do the hoisting when we hung them in our garage from the rafters.

and yep a sawsall gets the job done - with a small toothed blade, as you said. we just used a butcher saw we got from Gander Mountain. easy peasy

and look at those kids getting it done! whooot!

* hugs KatyTCL * yay! new friends
:)

OFG please we could use another girl around here, especially one with a wicked sense of humor like yourself. No sweaters or chicken breed that ends in "izzle" around here either.

I still laugh when I read your reciting the verse on how its a sin to miss church and be at Walmart on a Sunday morning. Good stuff.

http://adventuresinthegoodland.blogspot.com/2010/03/i-dont-love-goats.html

We're
looking at doing goats this spring. My daughter LOVES them and I want milk. So saw the group of posts and figured Id see what her take on them was......read the page its VERY good stuff.

Glad I came back on here before going to bed. I was curious to see if someone was rushed to the ER for crush injuries or rechecking their ingredient list for homemade BBQ sauce.
lol.png

Last edited:
Quote:
hey buddy!

i'm usually over at SS.. where folks dont think that 'dressing poultry' means putting little outfits on them
;-)

or you can find me on my blog where all manner of foolishness happens.

and nah you're not a wimp.. if i remember right, you had a whole bunch of them pigs to deal with. but yep you can do it next time around. after we got past the dispatching them part of the day we were home free. now i cant wait to get my hands on a steer.

and HA.. sorry didnt mean to call you out.....

....but

i am just a girl, half your size, and i was there in the splash zone on backup fixin' to drop that pig with an axe and my trusty war hound if things went bad....... and i was on guts, skinning, and parting up

JUST KIDDING!!!!...... you know i think you are the beez kneez.. we all still sing songs around the campfire of when you butchered all those turkeys in one fell swoop.

KatyTCL... i am kinda worried about that BRF.. either their arms hurt so bad they cant type or they are out in a field some where in a heap. YIKES!
;-)

Man have you missed a lot! When was the last time you were here? I have 26 pigs currently... I think last time we talked I just got started with them, I believe I had 6 or so. By far one of the easiest animals to raise for meat. They are stubborn as hell but if you know how to handle them, it's not bad.

I've added some sheep to the mix too, actually they are due to lamb anytime now just keeping my fingers crossed that they all do ok.

You know, I knew you did a blog on your pigs and farm but I didn't know where to look. Didn't even dawn on me that the link posted was yours! Goes to show you how much I pay attention. I remember when you first started that blog, I have a lot of reading to do. You do need to share the story about the "red" coyote I was dying laughing in my computer chair, had to tell Mel because she was wondering why I had a big smile on my face while staring into the computer. LOL. You did a very good job of making me picture the whole thing.

Come on, I thought you knew I had thicker skin than that... I like the challenge... you can call me out. Now only if I can get good with that axe.

I guess BRF is too tired after today... hopefully we catch up with him tomorrow. I hope he has pics.

Here is a pic of some of those pigs... They are a lot bigger than this now, they are about 3 months old now. Came all the way from PA, got a great deal on them for $40.00 ea.
DSCF3672.jpg

Love your self description:

In my previous life I was a fussy, type-a tech gal..and now.. now here I am in the flyover zone on a farm. I gave up my Big Life and I became a tiller of the soil, a keeper of the flocks, and a hater of pigs.

So how do you really feel about pigs?
wink.png

Been the type A big city banker myself (currently a small town banker and loving it), and now the wife, boys and I are hanging out on our little farm, enjoying a slower pace. Sometimes stuff is just stuff, and after a while you find that "doing" stuff brings more joy than "buying" stuff.

Nice to see folks not take themselves so seriously, yet be serious about what they do. The pictoral on the kitty-cat was nice.

Back
Top Bottom