Butchered my first 7 chickens today. Did it the 'easy' way, tomorrow doing the rest the hard way. Plus a question.

affacat

Crowing
12 Years
May 21, 2011
Oregon (Northwest, Clackamas County)
So, it wasn't bad at all, except I don't think I properly severed the jugular on the first so that was a bit sad. No issue with the rest, except they were a bit stinky due to being lazy meat birds.

The fast method I learned on YouTube - after the bleed out, I laid them out, pulled back the skin, and butchered for legs, breasts, and tenders, and feet. No defeathering, no scalding, no wings, no organs. Very simple, honestly.

Tomorrow, hopefully, l'll do the rest for roasting.

For those seeking a way to 'ease' into it, I would recommend this. I think I was prepared to do the full version too (I helped someone else once) but this was so much simpler and faster it was worth it.

I was also concerned about meat bird roasters because our chickens are a bit stinky and have far more dingle berries (including on their stomach from their coop) than our eggers, who are all beautiful and clean. Not keeping the skin kind of felt 'cleaner'.

Anyone have experience with this? I assume if I keep a full roaster (that is, pluck and remove innards), as long as I properly defeather and clean the skin I don't need to worry about the.... Poop? Like, the chicken I helped with before was a regular rooster and so once it was defeathered it looked clean... These meat birds have no real belly feathers and sit in their own refuse a lot despite them having a run... The few belly feathers they do have a dirty. Is this normal for meat birds or should I skin them all because of this?

Skinning them is so quick and easy compared to plucking. The trouble is that much of the fat is attached under the skin and that's where much of the flavor is. Also, it is difficult to make a skinned chicken have a nice presentation at the table.

The thing I hate most about plucking is waiting for the scalding water to heat up.

How did the plucking go?

No plucking with this method. Basically you just make a tiny slit at the belly and use your hands to pull back the skin over and off the chest. Then slice off the feet and pull the legs skin off. Then just remove the legs (dislocate then slice), the breasts, and the tenders.

It doesn't get as much meat but it gets plenty, and all the good parts as ready to clean and freeze cutlets. And it's much faster, which can be critical depending on the day.

Skinning them is so quick and easy compared to plucking. The trouble is that much of the fat is attached under the skin and that's where much of the flavor is. Also, it is difficult to make a skinned chicken have a nice presentation at the table.

The thing I hate most about plucking is waiting for the scalding water to heat up.

Since I just went for legs, breasts, and tenders presentation doesn't matter. Chicken cutlets, breaded tenders, etc...

Back
Top Bottom