Butchering Ages

JacinLarkwell

Addict
Premium Feather Member
Mar 19, 2020
South-Eastern Montana
Might be better under Meat birds, but most of these certainly are no meat breeds, and it's more or less managing the flock too.

16 weeks is when birds start to develop the hormones that make them tougher when cooked, right? Or do smaller birds get them sooner?

I'm trying to figure out when would be best to process since I've got birds that are about 14 weeks down to 8 weeks and most are bantams.

Also is it really even worth it on some of the bantams to process? I'm just asking because I've got a sebright and 2 D'uccles and they're never going to get very big. I'm all for not wasting a life, but this time... anyone know if they'll be around a quail in size after processing? I could do that soze, but not much smaller before it's not worth it.

Might be better under Meat birds, but most of these certainly are no meat breeds, and it's more or less managing the flock too.

16 weeks is when birds start to develop the hormones that make them tougher when cooked, right? Or do smaller birds get them sooner?

I'm trying to figure out when would be best to process since I've got birds that are about 14 weeks down to 8 weeks and most are bantams.

Also is it really even worth it on some of the bantams to process? I'm just asking because I've got a sebright and 2 D'uccles and they're never going to get very big. I'm all for not wasting a life, but this time... anyone know if they'll be around a quail in size after processing? I could do that soze, but not much smaller before it's not worth it.
I really don't know anything about bantams, but I would think they'd dress out larger than quail. Maybe cornish hen size?

I generally butcher my extra boys between 12 - 13 weeks. They do keep growing a little bit up to 16 weeks but I don't find it significant enough to keep them that long. Also I have a rooster I keep all the time and so long as the others are under 14 weeks I don't usually have any fighting problems. Bantams are I've found a lot more prone to fighting.

It really depends on the bantam when it comes to whether it's worth it. Generally I would put 2 bantams in the same bag for the freezer. I've never had quail but I'm pretty sure they were bigger than that.

I generally butcher my extra boys between 12 - 13 weeks. They do keep growing a little bit up to 16 weeks but I don't find it significant enough to keep them that long. Also I have a rooster I keep all the time and so long as the others are under 14 weeks I don't usually have any fighting problems. Bantams are I've found a lot more prone to fighting.

It really depends on the bantam when it comes to whether it's worth it. Generally I would put 2 bantams in the same bag for the freezer. I've never had quail but I'm pretty sure they were bigger than that.
My quail usually dress out between 4.5 and 5 oz for reference

Back
Top Bottom