Butchering Day- 75 Cornish X's! (Graphic, and Pic-Heavy)

Quote:
Yup- but I do that when I gut them as well. Personally, I find the thought of eating organs disgusting, and I don't know anyone who wants them, so they get burned.

The giblets make great dog food, as well as a ground up carcass.

They also make great bait, for catfish. Personally, I love fried organs.

Quote:
Many years ago when I was stationed at Fort Bragg, I used to go to the chicken places for fried catfish and gizzards. I just love fried chicken gizzards.

Quote:
Now you've got me thinking... maybe I'll check into that. I could always do it on a preorder basis and have them ready for spring. It might be a good winter project. I wonder what it would cost to ship those darn things?!

Well, let us know if you decide to do it. I'd certainly be interested. I could probably build one, but I know it wouldn't be as nice as the ones you do.

Quote:
Now you've got me thinking... maybe I'll check into that. I could always do it on a preorder basis and have them ready for spring. It might be a good winter project. I wonder what it would cost to ship those darn things?!

Well, let us know if you decide to do it. I'd certainly be interested. I could probably build one, but I know it wouldn't be as nice as the ones you do.

I'm considering doing it- I'll post a thread if I do. As I tally up costs, it would end up being higher than I thought. On mine, I didn't use a sealed motor, and I cobbled together a featherplate, so building it right would add quite a bit to the cost. On mine, I just got a regular $65 motor with the thought that if I wreck it, I could buy another one and still come out cheaper than a farm duty motor. I wouldn't want to sell something that wasn't reliable though. I also have no idea how to ship it. Basically, if I ended up doing it, I'd take pre-orders for shipment prior to spring. I'd hate to have 3 unpurchased pluckers sitting around my garage!

Do you make any chicken broth out of those bones before you burn them? Look like they would make some fine and tasty broth for some soup.

Quote:
Yes and no- the carcasses I just burn. It would take too much time to seperate them out, and I don't need that much stock. But, I love homemade chicken stock. I have over 20 pounds of feet, 5 pounds of wing tips, and some assorted freezer burned meat from last year in my freezer, and I'll be making a huge batch of stock on my next day off.

Jaku-

Shipping isn't that bad, mine that came from Featherman was $125.00. Granted they have great rates as they have a buisness account but it wouldn't be much more than that for you. Also thought you might want to know... it came Fed ex (little box truck like UPS)

You definately would want to use higher end materials and do it right. This way you have a better chance of less things going wrong. A water tight moter would be smart...

I think your on to something... Just another thought...

If you get some good customers you could also buy the Cryo-Vac bags a lot cheaper if you bought them from the Manufacture instead of Cornerstone... I think the minum order is 10,000 bags but hey for your first order I'm sure a lot of people here from BYC would jump on to meet that minimum.

You have to figure Cornerstone makes a killing on those bags... almost to the point where it's crazy. I paid $.70 a bag for turkey bags this year from them and that doesn't even include shipping.

Quote:
I priced the whole thing out, including shipping through FedEx. To get a sealed motor, a HDPE featherplate, and some parts from Kimball bumps the cost up a bit. As of right now, the cost to BUILD it is $600. FedEx shipping quote (not knowing the exact weight,) was $150. With all the work involved, I'd want to make around $150 on them, which would bring the shipped total to $900. What was the total on the Featherman? Also, that's assuming $100 for fingers from Kimball, $50 for a 24"x24" piece of 3/4" HDPE, $54 for a driveshaft from Kimball, $160 for a sealed farm duty 3/4 hp motor from TSC, and $54 for a 16" pulley from Kimball. Does anyone think I could do better on any of those prices? I have an email in to Kimball to see if he'd give volume discounts, but I'm not holding out hope. I've never recieved an email back from him when I've asked him a question.

Any idea what the supplier is for the shrink bags? That would be worth looking into for sure.

Awesome job!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom