Butchering Day- 75 Cornish X's! (Graphic, and Pic-Heavy)

jaku

Songster
12 Years
Jan 13, 2008
Howard City, Michigan
Woo-Hoo! No more chickens until spring- I even butchered the layers, so I'm FREE all winter! Here are pics of my butchering day this Saturday. We did 75 Cornish X's in about 7 hours, including filleting/cutting them up, which we found to be easier and faster than leaving them whole, since you don't have to gut them. Next time, I'll post a step by step of that process. I charge the same, whether my birds are delivered live, whole, or cut up, and this year, most people wanted them cut up. I had my usual crew- me, my best friend Andy, and my father in law, Dan.

Here's the birds, happy in their tractor at the beginning of the day. I put them on my gravel driveway the day before, so that their crops will be completely clean. An occasional rock isn't bad to deal with.
IMG_0746.jpg

A little further out, showing the outdoor section of the processing area.
IMG_0747.jpg

For those wondering about the size of my cones, here is the turkey cone and two chicken cones, in the setup I use. All are loaded with 8 week old Cornish X's. The turkey cone will work, as long as they're BIG. Note the shoulder coming out a bit. (Sorry for the shameless plug here!)
IMG_0748.jpg

Here's the setup as we were getting started.
IMG_0751.jpg

Dan and Andy getting the scalder lit.
IMG_0754.jpg

That's me dunking a bird- the Whizbang "inspired" scalder keeps the temp really well.
IMG_0758.jpg

Whizbang Plucker. Seriously... build one!
IMG_0760.jpg

Dan and a naked chicken. Never will I pluck by hand again!
IMG_0763.jpg

Filleting Pics of Andy and I
IMG_0762.jpg

IMG_0765.jpg

IMG_0767.jpg

IMG_0768.jpg

This is what's left of the bird after our filleting method. It's quicker than leaving them whole, I swear. All the guts are intact, as is the crop and head. Leaving the wishbone in makes it a little tough to get all that shoulder breast meat... that and the fact that we were doing 75 of them made getting every speck of meat off a low priority.
IMG_0764.jpg

We burn our carcasses in a barrel. Once the fuel burns off, it literally just smells like you're cooking chicken, and you're left with nothing for the dogs to dig up.
IMG_0749.jpg

Here's why I cool them in ice water. All that blood would have been in the meat otherwise. Plus, cooling 75 birds in the fridge would take WAY longer than what is a safe cooling time. This was taken right before a water change.
IMG_0769.jpg

Birds being bagged. Here's a few pics of my shrink bags from Cornerstone, using their recommended bagging method.
IMG_0770.jpg

IMG_0771.jpg

IMG_0774.jpg

IMG_0776.jpg

IMG_0779.jpg

My label
IMG_0777b.jpg

Here's what about 50 shrink wrapped chickens looks like in a good size fridge.
IMG_0780.jpg

We got aout 20 pounds of JUST feet!!
IMG_0772.jpg

These are all wings. I'd say 25-30 pounds.
IMG_0773.jpg

Last edited:
good work jaku

how many week did the go and what size of bag did you buy to put them in 3-5lbs fryer size?

Back
Top Bottom