1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Butchering Day-We did it!!! Pics

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Daycare Mom, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    Today was the big day! I wasn't sure I would be able to do it but with the help of my awesome FIL we did it! It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. We butchered the 12 roosters of the slow white broilers. They were 10 weeks old. They came out very nice about 4 to 5 pounds each. We still have 12 hens left for next time.

We hung all 12 on the line and then off with their heads....I decided I would post the pic with the heads still on.
    [​IMG]
    And then all the plucking!
    [​IMG]
    Starting to look like dinner!
    [​IMG]

2. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    good job. My dh and I were discussing ours...he keeps putting it off [​IMG] I am ready to get this over with..first time for me and not looking forward to it. I am sure it will be easier after the first time. Dh will skin them as we don't eat the skin and it should make it easier. You did a good job there.

3. Cason

Cason Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks GREAT!

4. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    We thought about skinning ours, but it adds so much flavor to the meat, even if you don't eat it. The plucking really isn't very hard, just takes a little time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by