Butchering question??

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by ridder, Sep 15, 2008.

1. ridder

ridder Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2008
    Well, we finally finished butchering our 96 buff roos yesterday. It was a chore but actually went smoothly. My question is: We dipped them in 145-150 degree water with a few drops of dish soap in it, hosed off the birds after plucking , kept a bucket of bleach water handy for continually washing off the work tables and hosed them off. Washed the chickens with the hose after gutting and put them in a cooler full of ice water after. Is this getting the chickens clean enough? They looked nice and pretty just like you get from the store but I am concerned that we should have dipped them in some kind of solution to clean the skin better. Did we do OK? or should I be concerned that they are not clean. Thanks

2. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Sounds good to me.

3. Poler

Poler Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    ya, that sounds really clean.

The best way to rid yourself of bacteria is to make sure that the chicken is cooked properly.

4. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    the more you add, chemical-wise, the worse. just moving quickly, as you did, and keeping your work station clean is the best ticket.

you did a great job! now enjoy![​IMG]

5. mullers3acers

mullers3acers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2007
    la porte, In
    I have been helping my dh butcher chickens and turkeys for about 8 years and we pretty much clean the same way you did and haven't had any problems.[​IMG]

6. Tamidon

Tamidon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Massachusetts
    getting your chickens cold as soon as possible is good too. They should go straight from the butchering table to a sink or bucket of cold running water then into the fridge once cold

Remember, the danger zone in food safety is no more than 2 hours between temps of 45 and 140 dF...this is a total time.

7. miron28

miron28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    lenoir north carolina
    Hey ridder why do you put dish soap in the water? I am very new to all this so any info I can get will help thank you!![​IMG]

8. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

miron28, I think the soap helps the hot water to work through the oils in the feathers to get down to the roots and loosen them up.

9. ridder

ridder Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2008
    We put dish soap in the water to desolve the fat around the feathers so they pluck easier. I have got to say that the feathers just brushed off except for the wing feathers those we had to pull a bit. We had one person dispatching the birds and 2 of us dunking and plucking and 2 gutting. We figured we were doing about 16 birds an hour so had a real assembly line going. It helped that my son us a butcher by trade so is very good with a knife. BTW thank you everyone for your answers I feel much better now about cooking the birds with no worries.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  10. TedsFarms

TedsFarms Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2008
    wow, 16 birds/hr. That sounds like a lot of work to me. Thanks for the soap tip though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by