Butchering

Smiller1090

Chirping
Sep 27, 2020
Fountain County Indiana
Going to be butchering for the first time, two drakes Thursday or Friday by myself. Any tips? I built a butcher table with a chicken wire top for easy cleaning. I don’t have a kill cone and all of my local farm stores are sold out. I will be scalding in my water bath canner over an open fire to pluck. Any suggestions or advice are much appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• C8792FEC-647C-47A7-B0A9-EC35F53F378A.jpeg
    C8792FEC-647C-47A7-B0A9-EC35F53F378A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
Going to be butchering for the first time, two drakes Thursday or Friday by myself. Any tips? I built a butcher table with a chicken wire top for easy cleaning. I don’t have a kill cone and all of my local farm stores are sold out. I will be scalding in my water bath canner over an open fire to pluck. Any suggestions or advice are much appreciated. Thanks
You can make a cone for them. I made a come out of a water jugg all you have to do is cut the top and cut the bottom of it. I have not processed a duck before but may have to soon :(

I do a log with two nails pointed inwards at each other so it makes a V, you stick their head right into the V, and do a strong swing to the neck with a hatchet. I've done this 15+ times, without any problems, and I still have all seven fingers left.

If you do the cone technique, make sure your knife is super sharp (it should already be), as sometimes their duck down buffers the cut.

I find butchering ducks a lot more emotionally scarring than chickens, so be prepared for that.

The way I do it is I get a big rubbermaid bin, knife, rag towel, and a stool ready. Bring the duck in and wrap them up in the towel. (I'm right handed) I put their head down in the bin - which I have pinned between my legs and a cupboard so it doesn't move around - Use my left arm to hold the ducks body against my leg, and my middle and index finger(of left hand) on either side of it's neck to hold it against the side of the bin. Then cut it's throat just below it's jaw. Keep your fingers where they are so it's head doesn't go everywhere, and make a giant mess. You can set the knife down and use your other hand if you need to to keep the duck still-ish on your lap.

Back
Top Bottom