Butt Concern

spindlebox

In the Brooder
Aug 1, 2023
So I saw this on the back of this chick, and cleaned a bunch off, but the protruding part is very hard and I can't seem to soak it off.

I'm afraid to hurt the little thing. I isolated her for a minute or two while I got my camera, and came back and she had pooped in the container where I put her; this seems to be dried on.

Her vent is just above is it not?

Any advice/info would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20230803_160719.jpg
    20230803_160719.jpg
    335.7 KB · Views: 61
@Wyorp Rock mentioned this in a different post:
If you can see a hardened plug of poop blocking the vent, then after you have soaked in epsom salts, apply a little mineral oil or coconut oil to the vent, see if you can work the plug out manually by gently applying a bit of pressure or you may need to use a qtip or trimmed down and blunted popsicle stick to help dig it out.

Is that what you've been trying - an epsom salt bath? Does it have pasty butt or is this the first time this has happened?

No I have just tried warm water.

I'm trying to identify what that is, if it's just hardened poop below the vent or if it's actually plugging the vent? I've never experienced this before so don't know what I'm looking at. If you zoom into the photo you can get a good look. I just need somebody to tell me what I'm looking at here, and then how to help.

It looks like what gets called pasty butt. This when the poop isn't coming cleanly out of the vent, sometimes leaving a plug in the vent itself.
It's dangerous, even if the vent isn't blocke because poop will build up above it if it's not cleaned away.
What I can see in the picture could be carefully cut away with a sharp pair of scissors and then you'll be able to see if the vent is in fact blocked.
You could also soak it's bum to help soften the poop and gently pull. I small dish of warm water should do the trick if you can dunk it's rear end in it until you feel it soften as described by Stravagar above.
You need to do this now.

Good news. I was able to do as Shadrach suggested and soak its' backside and it finally softened up and I was able to get it off!! Relieved.

I also added probiotics to their water and have given them a little bit of cornmeal as suggested by a couple sources on Youtube. I'm going to keep checking them, and probably get some vasoline and apply some to all of their vents just in case.

Thanks!

KIKI, I bought these.

Good news. I was able to do as Shadrach suggested and soak its' backside and it finally softened up and I was able to get it off!! Relieved.

I also added probiotics to their water and have given them a little bit of cornmeal as suggested by a couple sources on Youtube. I'm going to keep checking them, and probably get some vasoline and apply some to all of their vents just in case.

Thanks!

KIKI, I bought these.
Did you check it's vent for a poop plug?
Coconut oil would be a better choice.

Thanks!

KIKI, I bought these.
Oh boy...stop the cornmeal. Be careful about listening to people on Youtube...most have no clue what they repeat.

It is best to only feed chicks a chick crumble feed. NOTHING else.

Thanks!

KIKI, I bought these.
Make sure you aren't over heating them.
Are they inside your house?

Get a thermometer and see hot hot their area is. Too hot caused pasty butt.

Yes, I have a thermometer; they're in my basement in a very large watermelon box. Lamp is over to one side and they have plenty of room away from it if they want. They can very easily self-regulate temperature. I have 10 chicks and there was only 1 with this problem.

Back
Top Bottom