Butt Fluff trim? !

hcammack

Crowing
12 Years
Oct 5, 2007
Vermont
My favorolle hens both have a huge amount of fluffy rump feathers and they were getting dirty and poopy because they are so puff so guess what I did today that neither of them liked very much. I took a pear of scissors to their bum feathers it is not pretty but if was effective
lol.png

Has anyone had to trim butt fluff before?
Did I do the right thing?

Thanks in advance,
Henry

lau.gif
I don't see anything wrong with it. I just can't get the picture out of my mind. I haven't had to do this, but have thought about it when checking for mites on flighty dark feathered behinds!

We have to do this with our BSL hen every now and then...in fact we had to do it yesterday. She was also very well behaved, and she won't be getting those fuzzy butt feathers dirty for a while
smile.png

Quote:

My big buff standard cochin girl gets her but feathers trimmed all the time because she is forever getting a dirty behind. She doesn't mind it at all. Would rather have that done than to wash her. That she does not like at all!
big_smile.png

Here is a back picture of her and her roomy, my blue who never gets her tail feathers dirty.

jc32.jpg

Trimming butts is common practice around here.

I have a small flock of standard Cochins. These are very nice quality with extreme fluff.

In order to get fertile eggs in the spring and summer all have naked butts and that includes the HUGE Cockerels. It is a little more extreme then you would do for messy feathers and includes a good portion above the vent for the ladies.

BTW: Within an hour all the feathers that I trimmed off were gone. The bird nests/houses around here are full of Blue and Splash feathers.

Matt

I had to do this to one of my EE hens. She also lost all of the feathers that I trimmed and has yet to grow any back in the strip down her rump. It is kinda funny looking!
S.

I've been thinking about trimming my rooster's fluffy butt feathers. They were yucky last time I checked him over. Also trimming a claw that curls funny and isn't getting work down.

~side note~ Have a long-haired cat who was getting a similar yuckiness under her tail. Trimmed her 'butt feathers' and she did NOT enjoy it. That was almost 2 years ago and she's kept her 'feathers' clean ever since. Reckon chickens can learn that too?

Back
Top Bottom