1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Butterflies!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Bettacreek, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Alright, I admit, this may be better in the pet section, but I'm not sure, since it may fit with gardening better. Either way, it's here and if a mod wants to move it, please feel free to do so.

Anyways, with my milkweed crafting, I decided to do some google searches to see what all can be done with the plants. Of course, I ended up sidetracking and reading about monarch butterflies. That lead me off to reading about painted lady butterflies, and eventually to silkworms. So, me, being me, I plan to raise monarch butterflies next year. I also plan to grow a mulberry bush (debating between weeping or a regular dwarf) come spring, and raise silkworms. The silkworms can be started whenever I feel like putting cash towards the eggs or larvae, because I bought powdered mulberry leaves this spring for just this purpose.
    I even found one thing where people were using those small mesh pop-up laundry hamper things from the dollar store for their butterfly homes. How absolutely perfect and cheap! Now, my only problem is that the monarchs are pretty expensive... But, if I can breed them myself, I can release some and not worry about having to buy anymore. The silkworms can be used to produce raw silk as well. [​IMG]

If anyone is interested in butterfly release, please check out this page: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/plant_health/permits/organism/downloads/decision_chart.pdf

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    The member Monarc on here raises them. She hasnt been on in a while though. [​IMG] MAybe try to PM her?

3. blckbrnfamly

blckbrnfamly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    Southeast, Arizona
    huh... that sounds really cool!! [​IMG]

4. Bettacreek

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Monarc as in Niki? I didn't know that! Plus she lives close enough to me... I'll have to send her a message. I've been keeping in loose contact with her through facebook/myspace, so she's not too hard to get ahold of. [​IMG] Thanks, I'm glad you told me!

5. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:No prob! tell her i say Hi! and i worry about her.. good luck!

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Well this may sound utterly weird of me, and they are directly related to butterflies - But I actually raise and keep track of my local moths. Since there are SO many types, each so unique, and in this area - There is so little known about them - I survey, photograph, and occasionally raise them. They are no where near as beautifully ornate as the east coast ones or the ones from other countries, but interesting anyway.

I keep track of the butterflies around here too, I have even grown a garden for both - But I find it difficult to photograph the butterflies. They're so panicky and flighty, and there is no absolute method to photograph them like there is with moths. (that I know of)

( my data is here )

7. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Bettacreek, your inbox is full.

8. Bettacreek

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    HorseJody, I just got your email and responded. Sorry for no updates. [​IMG]

Redhen, she says that she misses you too. [​IMG] I don't think she'll be back here anytime soon, but hopefully she'll eventually return. She's a valuable resource of information.

9. babylady4

babylady4 Mother Goose

Mar 30, 2009
    Central WI
    I do that every year with my kids. They are experts at raising monarchs and sexing them. I would love to join one of the tagging programs!

10. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Betta..when you get your butterfiles going..you could make BIG bucks for weddings..
    I paid BIG bucks for some to release at my wedding..it was soo awesome.. [​IMG]
    Something to think about..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by