Button housing...want the best scenario for the birds

MissCluck

Songster
10 Years
Jan 31, 2009
Finger Lakes Region, NY
I'm researching button housing. I have nine eggs in my incubator and when they (hopefully) hatch they'll be in their brooder at first.

I'd like to give each pair a good house and I've been reading about aquariums, totes and putting them with my finches.

I'd prefer that they not be in the finch cages (32 x 42 x 45 flight cages) because they'd get pooped on and with the open sides I couldn't have sand and shavings bedding.

I can fine terrariums at www.glasscages.com that are plenty long 48" long to 72" long....but my gosh the price for the stands is prohibitive even if the tank prices weren't.

THEN I found Apogee Reptariums and Reptibreeze habitats. They have a firm bottom for substrate but screen sides, which seems good for air circulation. http://www.reptiledirect.com/reptarium65165x30x28.aspx link for Apogee and http://www.reptiledirect.com/zoomed-reptibreeze-screen-cages.aspx link for reptibreeze

The prices on them are much easier to handle too - especially if I have to pair off my birdies (or they do it on their own).

With the BOINK factor of buttons how tall would you go?

The Apogee Reptariums are probably taller than I need to go but if the habitat is about 16.5 x 30 with a height of 48" I could make ramps for the quail to use so that more of the cage was used. You can lay the Reptariums on their sides and get a liner so that the habitat is longer than higher....kind of neat.

What do you experts think?

Last edited:
Im looking for a nice cage myself was thinking of making one but these cages are cheaper then what i can make. cant wait to hear what others say about them also.
Kathy

I've used them for reptiles.
Boink factor probably won't be a factor. They are very soft and have a ton of "give".
They are a pain in the butt to clean. The "tray" is just soft plastic and it goes under the other bottom, which means poop will get stuck to that bottom's mesh, and sand will fall through to the other bottom, which is only a problem if you want to change out the sand...
they are also difficult to see through, and the zippers are constantly getting stuck. And with how the mesh is, if one should fly up and brace its feet against the side, its nails could get stuck.
They are also not very sturdy, so if you have any animals that might try to get to them, forget it.

That is a summary of my experience with those cages. They are great in a pinch or when other housing is unaffordable, since you can get a large size for relatively cheap, but they are not my first choice if I have other options.

PS: I'm talking about the reptarium, not the other, I have no experience with that one.

Last edited:
Thanks! That's good information on the Reptarium.

I'd like to find something that doesn't have a bottom grate. The softness is also great for the birds but not so good if my terrier decides to investigate!

Zoomed has some terrariums that are part glass/part screen and they have a stronger frame.

Heck...wish I just had a room I could make into a bird room! Alas, my house is very tiny.

Back
Top Bottom