Button Quail Cage

animal8

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 19, 2011
Oxford
What's the smallest size cage I could have for a pair of button quail? Do they need more or less space than Coturnix quail? Can you keep two females together, or is it more recommended to have male and female? Is there anything else I need to know?
big_smile.png

Quote:
So would 11''x11'' be the smallest I could keep a pair of buttons? I was thinking about getting a small fish tank that I could make a lid for using some wood to make a frame and stapling some netting to it. Would a 1'x2' tank be big enough for them? Also worried about the amount of space waterers/drinkers ill take up, especially if I want to have hide boxes for them...What do people recommend?
big_smile.png

I use a 15 gallon long reptile tank (fish tank with a screen top) for 4 of my buttons. I have had 2 females together an they did fine! now I have 1 male to 3 females an no one pics on anyone! I use a small cardbord box as a "hide box" an they spend most of their time in that. for food an water I use reptile waterers that hav a ramp leading to the food an water an "steps" on the inside just incase they fall in lol

Quote:
What are the dimensions on the reptile tank? It's good to know you can keep two females together. I will probably still get a pair, but just in case my mum decides she doesn't want the noise
lol.png
Do you have much trouble with your buttons being flighty? Do you take them out while you clean, or just leave them in there? That was the other thing I was worried about because I know some people say not to handle them too often and if I get a pair that are quite flighty, I don't want to be upsetting them too much. Thanks for the useful info
big_smile.png

You can keep 2 females or 2 males together and you can also keep birds of the same sex in groups. My males are in 2 different cages, each with 7 birds per cage. When you mix the sexes is when you really want to make sure to have 1 male and 1 female only.

My button pairs are in 11' x 11' cubby shelves and they do very well, though I plan to make them bigger 'pens' sometime this year
fl.gif

yes i would go for a littel larger then 11x11 if you can youll be happier as the smaller the cage the more often it will need cleaned not to mention the birds will apreciate a bigger space
wink.png

also your pair will prolly be flighty since it takes a great deal of time and effort to have a tame pair of birds i suspect time that not many people are able to do. but i would worry about disturbing them the more often you put your hands in the cage the more comfortable they will be with you. you could even try feeding them treats from you hands when ever you get into the cage to help them feel calm about your presence

Quote:
What are the dimensions on the reptile tank? It's good to know you can keep two females together. I will probably still get a pair, but just in case my mum decides she doesn't want the noise
lol.png
Do you have much trouble with your buttons being flighty? Do you take them out while you clean, or just leave them in there? That was the other thing I was worried about because I know some people say not to handle them too often and if I get a pair that are quite flighty, I don't want to be upsetting them too much. Thanks for the useful info
big_smile.png

Like shellyd2008 meantioned, once you start adding more then just 1 pair, you do get into fighting an feather plucking, I got luck an all of mine get along. but yes they are very flighty an I actually lost one of my male buttons a month ago when I reached in to get the waterer, he flew out, he was testing me for the past week trying to get out but I always caught him in mid flight but that last time he out smarted me. also, Buttons do not like to be handled, they will actually drop feathers as a defense against preditors (ie - humans in this case).

also forgot to meantion, males tend to be pretty noisy an make "cat calls". when I clean my button's tank, they get put into a bird cage while I clean. bedding will probably have to be replaced about once a week maybe. they are smelly little creatures!

Quote:
really? i dont think they are smelly at all i live in teh basement and i have 8 cages of buttons and you cant smell mine at all even standing with your nose to a cage i was pleasently suprised but then again my birds cages are a bit on the large size....

Back
Top Bottom