Button quail eggs too small for quail turner?

AngeJD

Chirping
Apr 3, 2021
I just splurged and got the Borotto lumia 16, which has built in quail rails, fitting 4 per cup. First turn, and all the eggs fell through the larger hole in the middle...cracked 3 and I'm crying lol. Anyone have a hack to fix this or jerry rig some sort of cushion?

Stock photo used to show the cups...coturnix fit in snugly, but button don't. The hole in the middle of the cup is too big to put another button egg in, and too small to put in a chicken egg (I tried a sebright egg too!)

Any brilliant hacks???
Screenshot_20210514-023454_Chrome.jpg

I just splurged and got the Borotto lumia 16, which has built in quail rails, fitting 4 per cup. First turn, and all the eggs fell through the larger hole in the middle...cracked 3 and I'm crying lol. Anyone have a hack to fix this or jerry rig some sort of cushion?

Stock photo used to show the cups...coturnix fit in snugly, but button don't. The hole in the middle of the cup is too big to put another button egg in, and too small to put in a chicken egg (I tried a sebright egg too!)

Any brilliant hacks???View attachment 2668342
Are they small enough to gently put two a slot so they dont roll out ?

Are they small enough to gently put two a slot so they dont roll out ?
Unfortunately no. For the time being they're lying on their side on the hatcher tray and I'm manually rolling...

I was debating double sided tape...is that bad for the eggs?

Unfortunately no. For the time being they're lying on their side on the hatcher tray and I'm manually rolling...

I was debating double sided tape...is that bad for the eggs?
Like how loose are they ? They just completely lay on its side inside it ?

Would have to use something that wouldn't absorb heat probably

I have those rails in the incubator I use for buttons. I love those rails, but I understand where you're coming from. Try a small bit of paper towel, making a small poView attachment 2668642cket.
Yes!!! Same rails! I didn't have a chance to take a pic yet. They fit fine at first and I thought it was good until the first auto turn/tilt...three fell through the center hole.

I'm going to try the paper towel, thank you!!

If the paper towels don't work, try placing a piece of screen into the bottom of the indent to stop them falling through, while still being easy to disinfect and to not absorb too much moisture or impede air flow.

My go-to adhesive for alterations involving the incubator is hot glue gun glue; It's strong enough to hold in place, but easily peels off when I want it to.

Back
Top Bottom