Button quail prolapse? Tumor?

Jjdesmo11

Songster
6 Years
Jun 1, 2017
Tennessee
I need help diagnosing what’s wrong with my female Button Quail. I noticed in the last week or so that her feathers were looking ruffled after some Google searching I realized that some thing that happens when they are sick. She has been laying eggs and has been active and eating so I didn’t think there was anything wrong with her. I don’t hold mine often, and they are pretty wild, but I caught her with a butterfly net and looked at her vent, and it looked like there was a bulbous tumor next to her vent. When she struggled in my hand, it ballooned out. I’ve had chickens for years, and this is nothing I’ve dealt with before. My only thought is some form of prolapse. I’m so sad through the only pair of buttons. Poor girl she doesn’t seem to be suffering. But that has to be uncomfortable. Has anyone dealt with this before?
9EF75F55-CE78-467E-A721-A54677BD3A7C.jpeg

Attachments

• 9EFDC614-B203-429C-ABBC-FCA5986F1421.jpeg
    9EFDC614-B203-429C-ABBC-FCA5986F1421.jpeg
    406.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 42ABC55B-6ABF-4811-9369-FD8404522528.jpeg
    42ABC55B-6ABF-4811-9369-FD8404522528.jpeg
    362.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 62489F8F-6CAD-4F2C-A543-C0E63543631C.jpeg
    62489F8F-6CAD-4F2C-A543-C0E63543631C.jpeg
    545.1 KB · Views: 5
That doesn't look good. Is a vet an option?
Sadly not at this point. I just spent 500$ on a crop surgery for a bantam they had to put down on the table. I can’t keep doing that. Way too expensive. I was planning to incubate in the spring but I will now in case I loose her or need to cull her. She’s actually acting normal. I had crushed oyster shells in the cage. But added egg shells and vitamins in the water. Hopefully that will help. I know they say buttons do better in trio or more hens to roos. So maybe she’s being over mated. I’m just not sure what else I can do.

Sadly not at this point. I just spent 500$ on a crop surgery for a bantam they had to put down on the table. I can’t keep doing that. Way too expensive. I was planning to incubate in the spring but I will now in case I loose her or need to cull her. She’s actually acting normal. I had crushed oyster shells in the cage. But added egg shells and vitamins in the water. Hopefully that will help. I know they say buttons do better in trio or more hens to roos. So maybe she’s being over mated. I’m just not sure what else I can do.
Actually, buttons do best in pairs. It's coturnix that need the harem.

Whether this is prolapse or a tumor, it doesn't look good. Quail are prey animals and will act as normal as they can to hide weakness right up until they die. You might try an epsom salt bath, but I'm not sure how much good that will do at this point.

The bath should be warm, quail body temp or a bit above.

Actually, buttons do best in pairs. It's coturnix that need the harem.

Whether this is prolapse or a tumor, it doesn't look good. Quail are prey animals and will act as normal as they can to hide weakness right up until they die. You might try an epsom salt bath, but I'm not sure how much good that will do at this point.

The bath should be warm, quail body temp or a bit above.
Thank you good to know about the pairs! I noticed she was pecking him and I assumed I needed to up the calcium. So I added crushed oyster shells. I never thought this would happen. Thanks for the advice. I’m so worried to hurt her in the process. I had a cinnamon hen that had poop on her feet in the past and the stress from cleaning her feet or maybe I held her too tight causing her to die. I’m very nervous to hold them. I’ll try to update if anything happens. Thank you.

Thank you good to know about the pairs! I noticed she was pecking him and I assumed I needed to up the calcium. So I added crushed oyster shells. I never thought this would happen. Thanks for the advice. I’m so worried to hurt her in the process. I had a cinnamon hen that had poop on her feet in the past and the stress from cleaning her feet or maybe I held her too tight causing her to die. I’m very nervous to hold them. I’ll try to update if anything happens. Thank you.
Don't hold them. Just find a container that she'll fit in and put about 1" or so of epsom salt water in there. She'll get her bath that way and not get squeezed.

Back
Top Bottom