Button Quail Questions

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Malibu99, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Malibu99

Malibu99 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2012
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    Hi there :) I have a few button quail questions:

1) Do they need a run and coop like a chicken or what?
    2) Can you keep just 2 or 3 females? (No males)
    3) Are they louder than chickens?
    4) How much room do they need for 2 or 3 females?
    5) Where do I get them (I cannot hatch some)?

2. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    Good luck!

3. Malibu99

Apr 23, 2012
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    Thanks :) What about keeping them outside? Do they just need a cage outside?

4. Malibu99

Apr 23, 2012
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    Okay. So we have a plan. We have a fenced in garden (it's pretty big.). We also have a greenhouse inside the garden. So we'll build a little button coop and get 2 pair of quail. Would they be okay? We'll also put some wires across the top to keep hawks out. Other than that, do they need a top?

5. TimBaumann

TimBaumann Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2012
    Namibia
    If by "top" you mean a completely closed cage yes! When they get scared they fly straight up and I don't think they'll come back once thei'r out!

6. gorabbitgo

gorabbitgo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2012
    By two pair, i assume you mean male/female pairs? you'll need to keep them separated, as they're quite territorial.
    They can "boink" straight up when they're startled, which is often, and easily get higher than four feet, so you'll definitely need a top on their pen. If the top is lower than three feet you might also want to add some padding in the form of a soft window screen stretched corner-to-corner and suspended a few inches below the top of the pen so that when they boink they don't smash into the wire and get hurt. When they boink, they boink hard.
    They'll also need a heat source for winter. Birds that size just can't handle a freeze.

Think of them less like a miniature chicken and more like a ground-dwelling finch. I think that might help when you're considering housing.

7. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    Ask someone who has had one of these little birds "fly the coop"! Yes they can and do fly so a top is very important. You do not say what winter temperatures you have but these guys are sub tropical and like it between 40-80 F. I keep mine at room temp in the house so mid 60's-80. I would also have one pair as two will fight unless you want to divide the cage with lots of hiding places. You could try it but do not be surprised if they fight to the death. Hope this helps a bit and good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by