Button Quail

Momma_Bear

Songster
Oct 19, 2018
0954272A-90DF-4683-AD46-7531201F8D01.jpeg
found this poor guy with its eye glued shut by dry blood. Very swollen! I removed the dry blood and lots of blood came out. Eye looks like it’s there, but anytime it flaps, it bleeds more from the eyes. This picture was cleaning number 2 of the eye. I put vetericyn in the eye which is why it looks goopy and the swelling has gone down. I’m sure it’ll probably wind up blind, but does anyone have an idea of how it could of happened other then being pecked? It was full of blood.

Being pecked is the most likely answer in case of birds with eye damage. If there are things in the cage that could have poked into the eye, that might of cause be the answer too.
It could also be an infection that has been going on for so long the swelling became big enough to break out, but then the bird should have shown symptoms before.
Quail are hardy creatures, so unless the bleeding kills it, I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up completely fine. I would stop touching the eye, to avoid making it bleed more - such small creatures really don't have much blood to loose. You can always get rid of the dried blood in a day or two when the risk of bleeding is smaller.

Being pecked is the most likely answer in case of birds with eye damage. If there are things in the cage that could have poked into the eye, that might of cause be the answer too.
It could also be an infection that has been going on for so long the swelling became big enough to break out, but then the bird should have shown symptoms before.
Quail are hardy creatures, so unless the bleeding kills it, I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up completely fine. I would stop touching the eye, to avoid making it bleed more - such small creatures really don't have much blood to loose. You can always get rid of the dried blood in a day or two when the risk of bleeding is smaller.

Thank you! I’ll clean it every other day then. This is my son’s pet. Nothing in cage unless hay did it, but I found bruising after this post on its head. So I’m guessing picked on. I’ve raised quail for a while, dealt with all types of things, but not this. Do you think they pecked in the eye socket? I never saw picking and they’re very healthy!

Buttons are monogamous, so if you keep more than a pair in each enclosure, aggression is to be expected. There have been many posts on this forum about quail with swollen/damaged eyes and as far as I recall, I have yet to see one where the bird didn't end up being able to see afterwards. Though I have also yet to see one where blood kept coming out of the eye, so this case might be different and it might actually be the eye itself that's hurt.
How does the bird act? Lethargic? Or pretty normal? Eating and drinking?

Buttons are monogamous, so if you keep more than a pair in each enclosure, aggression is to be expected. There have been many posts on this forum about quail with swollen/damaged eyes and as far as I recall, I have yet to see one where the bird didn't end up being able to see afterwards. Though I have also yet to see one where blood kept coming out of the eye, so this case might be different and it might actually be the eye itself that's hurt.
How does the bird act? Lethargic? Or pretty normal? Eating and drinking?

Oh wow really? I never knew that. It is very stand of fish from the others. I haven’t seen it eat or drink but is of decent weight. Yeah at first I thought the eye was missing, but it looked like it was still there

I think I’d just put ophthalmic ointment on it to keep it moist. If the chick was mine I wouldn’t mess with it a whole lot. As it heals more then I’d clean it regularly. Eye tissue is so sensitive. Just my 2 cents.
Best wishes
ETA: saline solution should be used for washing out the wound.

Back
Top Bottom