button quails!

laurasewards

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 9, 2014
I am new to the hole chick hatching. And was just looking for some advice on hatching in a incubator. This will be my 2nd batch of eggs, the first unfortunately didnt have anything in after there time in the incubator. I have marked my days off for when the 2nd lot should of hatched but this was friday 6/6/14 is it norm for them to go over due date ?? I have candled the eggs and have got 4/3 that have def got something in them.1 is moving around and can see blood going though vains. Hope somone can guve me a bit of help / comfort in that I am doing the right thing manny thanks laura x

You have not given us enough information, what kind of quail, what are your temperatures and humidity what about turning?

It is not "normal" for them to go overdue, it can happen, but its not a good sign.

3 days late and no pips would be discouraging,

where in the world are you located? maybe we can find you some help.

Hi sorry they are Chinese painted quai. I have 1 male and 3 femails the eggs have been turning in the incubator humidity is now on50% - 60%. I do have one that I can see moving and the outline of boady parts there is a airsack. I am in uk thanks laura x

It is not uncommon for buttons to go over (as most people don't count right), anyway don't worry if it is 16-20 days. Do be sure you have the vents open they need air now and keep the temp and humidity up as well. With buttons you can remove them from the incubator to a brooder as soon as they dry. They need water and food within a few hours of hatch. And be careful they are fast and can jump really well! I almost lost a few jumping out of the incubator. Enjoy and good luck!

Thank you so much. So evan that they have gone over ther due dat they should be ok to stay in the incubator?

How can I increase the humidity? I put worm water in the water trays in the bottom and have addad anoter container to increase humidity as have read I need to put it up more laura x

How can I increase the humidity? I put worm water in the water trays in the bottom and have addad anoter container to increase humidity as have read I need to put it up more laura x

Humidity is all about surface area.
Increase the area of water to evaporate.
Some people use sponges but I prefer to just have more water on the floor.
What incubator are you using?

I found that sponges work great with buttons, you don't need to worry about them jumping into a dish of water, and I placed them under the vent holes so I could use a turkey baster to add water to the sponge without opening the top of the incubator. Worked like a charm.

It wont ket me upload a pic of it. They are on there last day of being in the incubator tomorrow but will leave them in a little longer as can still see one chick moving around. The entire bottom has water in and have put in a pot of water in to increase humidity but has only gone up slightly will try sponges. Wondering if this is what I am doing wrong thanks for the help all is good and will love to have little baby bumblebee buttons running round :D

are you using 2 hydrometers? sometimes you have a bad one and don't realize it. I say this because if you have the bottom of the incubator full of water you might have too high humidity. You need to be very careful as not to drown them in the egg shell. Hatch humidity should be about 60-65. Be sure your air vents are open as well as they need fresh air to breath now as well. and yes they breath through the shell.

Back
Top Bottom