buttons

Lovable Chicks

Songster
9 Years
Jun 23, 2010
Many years ago I had a pair of buttons and had them in with my finches. Never had babies but she layed lots of eggs. About 2 months ago I had the chance to get another proven pair. Then shortly after another pair. We fixed them seperate pens up with nesting area. The first pair mated and momma went to sitting but a short time later gave up. Didnt have incubator at that time so lost her clutch. About a week later the other hen started chasing the male around so took him out for safety reasons and the hen went sitting. On friday the 13 2 eggs hatched. She was sitting on 3, last egg never hatched. One of the babies passed away, I think got too cold as I found it laying in the bedding. Mom and baby are doing fine. Just thinking how lucky I was to have both hens sit for me after hearing most don't.

A few days ago the first hen went down. She can not walk. I have put her in by herself with heat. She seems fine, alert, drinking and even going potty. I am not sure what else to do. Any advice??

also...how soon can you tell the sex of the baby?

We have 1 pair of silvers and the other pair is the wild color.

For the hen: do keep her with the extra heat and have you checked her legs to see if she has something wrong? She may have a foot or even nail problem. You can give her eltrolites like pedialite in her water if she seems blah. if she is alert then just watch her and keep her calm. Only time will tell.
The chick was hatched in the 13th of this month? I would wait until he/she gets the adult feathers at about 6 weeks to try to guess the color, but others like to guess earlier. lol If you want to hatch I would get a small incubator as the mothers are not were good at it and I would be sure to have an brooder set up just incase either way, mom or machine. The chicks need extra heat for 4-6 weeks depending on what the temp is where the cage is located.

Thank you for your reply GrandmaBird. I can not see anything wrong with her feet or legs. She is alert and if I hold her up she eats and drinks fine but the momment I let her go she will flop down on her side.

Baby bird is doing fine with momma. I wasn't sure how long till they got there adult feathers. I did get a incubator and was planning to try hatching some but with one momma down not sure.

Thank you for your reply GrandmaBird. I can not see anything wrong with her feet or legs. She is alert and if I hold her up she eats and drinks fine but the momment I let her go she will flop down on her side.

Baby bird is doing fine with momma. I wasn't sure how long till they got there adult feathers. I did get a incubator and was planning to try hatching some but with one momma down not sure.
Try to keep track of her body mass and make sure she isn't losing too much weight. What your describing sounds sort of like the nerve damage they get if not properly hydrated. Often other birds can prevent them from drinking for long spells or sometimes they just choose not to for unknown reasons. Birds normally are not very alert with nerve damage however. If it is nerve damage they do not recover from it and typically must be euthanized. Usually when you pick one up that has nerve damage and set it back down it will stagger and fall on its side for a moment they also often cannot walk/drag themselves in a straight line. Keep us posted and let us know if her symptoms change, maybe we can offer more advice.

Thank you... it sure sounds like her. I thought she was drinking. How sad! She is alert. How long do I give her with no improvement?

I have had it happen to birds with multiple water fonts in the cage and no aggressive birds, so its one of those things that will always leave scratching your head. I give them three days if I'm not sure, however I have never had one recover even though you can typically keep them alive for days after. If you reach a point where feel you have to euthanize her,there is video on processing quail if you click on my profile, the concept is the same. Most humane societies and vets will also do it for $40+/-. As with any advice, use your discretion it is possible that I am wrong about what is afflicting her. However if she is losing weight or displaying weakness that she isn't recovering from it is usually the most humane outcome. I've lived my whole life around livestock so please excuse me if I have come across as crass or insensitive.

Thank you dc3085... no I totally understand and the thought of putting her down has came to mind. I too have had many animals and as hard as it is know when its best for the animal to let them go.

Back
Top Bottom