Butts

jma6004

Chirping
10 Years
Jan 30, 2013
Carencro, LA
I have 22, 23 day old Cornish X. They are all healthy and eating and drinking. Vents look clear. They are well feathered except their butts. Several of them look like:

Is this normal? Like I said the vents are clear but down their entire butts are streaks of chicken poo. I haven't raised chicks from babies, I've bought started pulleys before, but the poo seems a bit watery. Any suggestions?

I've only raised one bunch of CX, and they are about 7 weeks old right now. I've been feeding mine fermented feed ad their butts are pretty clean. However, I've heard that this is one of the big benefits of feeding FF, that the poop is less runny and the birds stay cleaner. Perhaps someone with more CX experience than me will chimb in.

I've only raised one bunch of CX, and they are about 7 weeks old right now. I've been feeding mine fermented feed ad their butts are pretty clean. However, I've heard that this is one of the big benefits of feeding FF, that the poop is less runny and the birds stay cleaner. Perhaps someone with more CX experience than me will chimb in.

I've heard the same thing. I haven't gotten into FF yet - it is an appealing idea since, except for eventually having them stacked in the freezer, there is little else about Cornish X this is appealing, IMO.

arrrrgg, give us a warning in the title!
ep.gif
1. Your on a chicken website. 2. Your on a meat chicken thread. 3. THE TITLE SAYS, "BUTTS". If your senses are so refined you can't look at a chicken butt on a chicken website you have no business raising birds. What else could I have done. I do apologize for offending you but I didn't show dead birds, butchering the birds (even though this is a meat bird third so that would be appropriate), and I didn't show anything inappropriate.

That poster was probably trying to be funny...although you can't always tell...I could be wrong. I thought the response was funny...but then again I find humor in many situations...it's how I keep sane...at least I think I'm sane...I could be wrong.

I have 22, 23 day old Cornish X. They are all healthy and eating and drinking. Vents look clear. They are well feathered except their butts. Several of them look like:

Is this normal? Like I said the vents are clear but down their entire butts are streaks of chicken poo. I haven't raised chicks from babies, I've bought started pulleys before, but the poo seems a bit watery. Any suggestions?
Add a couple of eyeballs above the vent, and this could be a pretty funny picture.

Guess I'll jump in and try to be of assistance. I've raised cornish x for a few years and their kinda nasty poopy birds. Although the bird booties around here aren't quite that streaked, they all could benefit from a moist towelette. My amateur assessment is that your butts don't fall outside of the normal variance of cornish x nastiness. I'm currently feeding an organic no-soy grower ration from Modesto Milling. Part of my reason for choosing such a feed is that I've noticed a higher proportion of solid stool when using it. I've used Flock Raiser in the past, and although I was quite happy with the end product, it did seem to produce wetter poop, thus, dirtier birds. Hope my two cents has been useful in some way.

Almost sprayed Diet Coke out my nose at that comment!
Hummingbird Hollow, I would say I am sorry, but we would all know that wouldn't be true. just a couple of googly eyes...

For the original poster, CX are disgusting. I raised my first 5 this year along with 9 Red Rangers, and it has been a magical whirlwind tour of disgust. Mine did not have loose poop so I had only one got skid marks like yours, but they have poop rubbed and caked into the feathers on their lower bodies so that I cannot wash it off before I pluck them.
sickbyc.gif
So far as I can see, they have two redeeming virtues: 1) they grow fast so I do not have to have them hanging around disgusting me for long, and 2) they are good for fast cooking methods like the barbecue and fried, and that cannot be said for most slower growing chickens.

I don't think there is anything wrong with your chickens that isn't wrong with most CX's.

Back
Top Bottom