Buy? Or Build? Heeeeellllllppppp!!

Pics
By the way, a fox can dig an entire den in abt 15 min. Digging under your fence would take mere seconds. My pens have a barrier dug down several feet in the ground so Mr. Fox won't get in.

I'm sure you, in these times of covid can find a handy person that can and will build you a CHICKEN PALACE for less than one you purchase. I agree with ALL that a prefab coop is not the best option. 3 ish sheets of plywood and 10-12 2x4's and fasteners plus any other hardware you may want or need you can have a 4x4x4 coop in one day...you have a fenced yard so you can free range them. Being y'all in Florida have had some rough weather and building supplies may be higher in price than most BUT I think you could build the coop for about $500(just material) and pay the handy person you would still be less than a prefab coop. Just my two cents and understand wanting a quick easy place for your chickens but I think you would disappointed with the prefab. When you are searching for the prefab use 4 square feet per bird which I agree with as a floor space number BUT it WILL be too cramped if it is not 4 feet tall also. Tight sleeping quarters make for grumpy chickens 🐔

I live in a neighborhood, so small is the key for right now...maybe 3 chickens. I live in Central Florida so it’s hot. I think winters are freezing, but I get cold with anything below 80! My plan is to purchase a small coop and run and a sail shade for them not to get too hot. I don’t think we have predators around here, we have a vinyl fence all around the yard so I think they will be safe.
If you live in Florida there are raccoons and hawks in even the most suburban neighborhoods. FYI

I live in a neighborhood, so small is the key for right now...maybe 3 chickens. I live in Central Florida so it’s hot. I think winters are freezing, but I get cold with anything below 80! My plan is to purchase a small coop and run and a sail shade for them not to get too hot. I don’t think we have predators around here, we have a vinyl fence all around the yard so I think they will be safe.
I have 2 coops that I bought from Formax snap an lock. We built a pen between them. I bought 1 but wanted more chickens. I live in MASSACHUSETT, ive had them 3 years Very happy with them. There is another company that sells similar with attached run. I also now have a child’s playhouse for my silkies.
EFC765C7-446D-4672-9AB7-B3B311C73A25.jpeg

Attachments

• CBE154A6-82AE-4182-870C-B5E5F08F18E1.jpeg
    CBE154A6-82AE-4182-870C-B5E5F08F18E1.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 4
  • EB2061CF-FFE8-45E1-B2D4-DD34D9AE4185.jpeg
    EB2061CF-FFE8-45E1-B2D4-DD34D9AE4185.jpeg
    236.4 KB · Views: 4
I started with a little tykes house w a run underneath. Used it for 5 years. Now I have a fairly good sized coop with a run underneath because it is a space that is sheltered from excessive heat and cold no matter what. I figured out what I wanted by taking my time. I have 6 chickens.

We would highly recommend you build a coop. Budget was always a concern for us and everyone here is absolutely right about those pre-fab coops. Ultimately, a waste of money. We have chickens but decided to get 2 ducks and a goose a couple years ago. We have NEVER built a building of any kind whatsoever, but we sure could not afford a shed or builder, or the size coop we wanted for the 3 new additions. We literally designed a lean to style building with 2 windows and a door, about 5 by 4 feet, and tall. We drew this on a scrap of envelope! We had no plans, no help, and no experience. We built a wonderful coop for them! We watched a lot of Youtube videos, and sometimes even had the computer outside with us, watching and re-watching a segment! We got a remnant of sheet vinyl for the floor, and ran electric to it for a light (no experience with that either). We put on nice period style hardware to go with our 240 year old house, and a cedar shingle roof. The whole thing was about $500. in materials. If we bought something like it, it would have cost a few thousands. We're really proud of our creation!!

goosecoop4 copy.jpg

goosecoop2 copy.jpg

goosecoop4 copy 2.jpg

goosecoop1 copy.jpg

goosecoop_cover1.jpg

There are predators everywhere. I'm assuming that you have raccoons and hawks in florida?
We live in town 3 blocks from the town square and have raccoons. We have 4 hens and no plans to add more. I started with a moderate sized prefab coop and have added an enclosed run for our girls to give them ample forage room. They have 20 sq. ft. per hen of run room. All in all we figure our first egg will be worth $2500. LOL It would have been cheaper to build our own, but this works for us.

We live in town 3 blocks from the town square and have raccoons. We have 4 hens and no plans to add more. I started with a moderate sized prefab coop and have added an enclosed run for our girls to give them ample forage room. They have 20 sq. ft. per hen of run room. All in all we figure our first egg will be worth $2500. LOL It would have been cheaper to build our own, but this works for us.
Wow!! That is one impressive egg!!

We would highly recommend you build a coop. Budget was always a concern for us and everyone here is absolutely right about those pre-fab coops. Ultimately, a waste of money. We have chickens but decided to get 2 ducks and a goose a couple years ago. We have NEVER built a building of any kind whatsoever, but we sure could not afford a shed or builder, or the size coop we wanted for the 3 new additions. We literally designed a lean to style building with 2 windows and a door, about 5 by 4 feet, and tall. We drew this on a scrap of envelope! We had no plans, no help, and no experience. We built a wonderful coop for them! We watched a lot of Youtube videos, and sometimes even had the computer outside with us, watching and re-watching a segment! We got a remnant of sheet vinyl for the floor, and ran electric to it for a light (no experience with that either). We put on nice period style hardware to go with our 240 year old house, and a cedar shingle roof. The whole thing was about $500. in materials. If we bought something like it, it would have cost a few thousands. We're really proud of our creation!!

View attachment 2367498

View attachment 2367499

View attachment 2367501

View attachment 2367507

View attachment 2367508
What a beautiful little coop! It’s simply perfect! What an inspiration! Thank you!!

I started with a little tykes house w a run underneath. Used it for 5 years. Now I have a fairly good sized coop with a run underneath because it is a space that is sheltered from excessive heat and cold no matter what. I figured out what I wanted by taking my time. I have 6 chickens.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom