buying chicks wen i can't have roosters...bad idea?

So, I think my plan is to turn to Freecycle or Craigslist, should we end up with one or more roosters. Some other chicken people I know may be interested in them too, so we shall see.
smile.png

Quote:
Because she doesn't need them. I told my friend (who gave us the Japanese hopefully-hen that we have now) that I wanted to buy a few more birds, and asked if she had anymore that I could buy from her. She said no, but she called her neighbor to see if she had any birds that she could stand to lose. This lady has lots of chickens, so she's willing to give up a few.
smile.png

Quote:
Well, they're only going to be about a month old, depending on if we take them this week or next week. Our other one we've had since she was two weeks old. So, that counts as raising them as babies, right?
smile.png

Quote:
Okay, you're speaking a foreign language to me now! I'm super-new to everything chicken, so...what does standard size sex-links mean? I really don't want to Google it, because I'm sure that whatever comes up will not be what I need to see! LOL

Quote:
Wow, like getting a dog de-barked? Interesting. I'm nowhere near ready to handle the extra responsibility that comes with all of that right now though. In the future, I'd like to hatch my own, but as of right now, we're just trying to get it together enough to have a decent place for our chickens to live!

You may also want to give some thought to the breed as well.
If you are joining the chicken underground, you don't want something that flies well, because then you'll need to put up netting to keep them from getting out & netting is a kind of a beacon that something is going on......

Get something quiet too. There are hens that are ridiculously loud.

MyPetChicken.com will sell you a few chicks that are already sexed.....

Quote:
Okay, you're speaking a foreign language to me now! I'm super-new to everything chicken, so...what does standard size sex-links mean? I really don't want to Google it, because I'm sure that whatever comes up will not be what I need to see! LOL

LOL....I totally understand! I'm pretty new to chickens too, but I've learned a lot in the last 2 months. The sex-links are chickens that are bred to be sexed by color...males are one color and females are another color. That way you don't have to be worried about accidental roosters. Here's a link if you want to see some:

https://secuservices.com/ideal/newideal/selectproduct.aspx?qty=1&ID=RSLP&Product=387

Back
Top Bottom