buying day old versus pullets. What is best?

forester7

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 21, 2016
New Brunswick, Canada
Hello. I can buy day old chicks for $3.35, or 19 week old pullets for $14. I have all the equipment to raise from day old and have done so before, but would it cost me $11 to feed a chick from day old to 19 week anyway? I am wondering if buying the 19 week old is smartest. Any thoughts? Thanks!

$14 is a steal for 19 week old pullets. Here they would be at least $30 each. I would be careful, and not buy anything that looks like it could be sick or could be a cockerel. But yeah, I would go for it at that price if all looked well and they are breeds that you want.

We have gotten pullets in the past and would have done it again if there would not be the shortage in my area. If you get pullets do you not have to invest in a brooder, light, food etc. Another advantage is you get faster laying.

We raise from 1 day old chicks this year and even getting 1 day old chicks is. We were lucky that we only got the light and feed. With 15 chicks have we gone through 5 bags of feed already. Since we raise meat rabbits did we already have tractor etc.

$14 for 19 week old pullets is a good price and they would be ready for the coop. What is best depends what is important for you. Maybe prioritize what you want (age, breed, equipment, feed) and then make the decission.

$14 is a great deal! Here they are charging $30 for 7wk old Americanas! (The chicks are $5-$12)
It also depend if the pullets are the breed you want, if your coop is ready, is you want eggs soon or don't mind waiting, want the chickens to have a special diet or no vaccine, etc. (Pretty much what everyone else said.)
Personally, I would go with the pullets if they were the right breed. (I like dual purpose.) Even if they were hybrids, though, those birds sure can kick out a lot of eggs! (They almost lay every day.) :)

Back
Top Bottom