Buying Ducklings: What am I doing wrong!?

DuckyDoodles

No Idea What The Duck I’m Doing ;)
Feb 11, 2018
Indiana
So I’ve been watching Metzer farms’ website since December in my anticipation of purchasing 4 babies. Memory serves, first available Cayugas were something like February. Checked in February, they kicked it to March. Checked last week, they kicked it to April 2 and just checking today it now says something like June or July.

Was I supposed to wait until they became available before I purchased them or is it that they’re not available because people place orders BEFORE the available date and they’re just reflecting the “backorder”/fulfillment needs?

And if Metzer ends up being already until June, is there alternatives to getting two Cayugas and Silver Welsh Harlequins? (Knowing there’s alternative websites but it seemed Metzer was most recommended). I don’t want to have to have ducklings next winter and was hoping to have them in brooder through this late winter/early spring and then be able to introduce them to property/duck adults since weather is getting appropriate.

Signed,

Duckling-less in Indiana :hit:hit:th

Well crappola... I thought I couldn’t order them until they were available :he

I just checked three other hatcheries and they’re unavailable at those places as well. So I’m thinking it’s like that everywhere :hit

As a side note: I DID just realize there were more forum sections on BYC than I originally thought. I do most of my internetting from my phone (crappy rural internet) and I had apparently not swiped up enough to uncover all of the boards (I’m a dweeb, I know) so I’m going to go and see what’s in the for sale/trade area... see if peeps (ha! See what I did there?) sell hatchlings.

Keep checking on their website. Sometimes they have better Hatch rates than expected or somebody cancels. ;)

I sure hope so; otherwise I’m getting a bit worried I might be SOL or going to be having some youngin’s come fall (I live in Indiana; our weather sucks LOL)

*fingers crossed*
*also still stalking internet ;)

Black Swedish are available on April 2nd.
I was actually looking at the Swedish in terms of their availability.

I just want some baby ducklings sooner than later (impatient) but I justify it by saying I’ve only got my 2 Pekin ladies and, deities forbid, one of them dies...

And not to sound duck racist (is that a thing?) I think my preferences on breeds were because I have 2 Pekin, I figured the Welsh Harlequins’ dark spots but on lighter body would even out the drastic black of the Cayugas. Y’know, like a white, black and both sort of thing.

That said, I love all ducks equally so I’m probably going to go ahead and order the black Swedish (once I re-read their temperaments) because they too have the black and white (cute little bibs!)

I must get the Cayugas though: it’s a present for my husband. I loveongly refer to him as my Grumpy but behind closed doors, he’s anything BUT! He wants babies. He wants them to imprint with him so he can feel some ducky love (lol my perception, not his). He was just really smitten with their colorings and said they’re dark and majestic like his soul :)rolleyes:)

The two Pekin I have were acquired when they were adults already and their true ages are unknown. I love them ridiculously, so there won’t be favoritism of course, but I think having some as babies that I get to rear into adults will at least strengthen their tolerance of me :lau

I want to love them and hug them and squeeze them (gently of course) and I might even call one George :cool:

Okay, now I’m scared to death LOL. I placed my order and have the confirmation email. Now I feel just as anxious as I did when I found out I was pregnant with my daughter: all education, research and confidence out the window!

I’m all nervous and worried I’m gonna break these babies.

Going to go practice deep breathing exercises and whip out my duck books for refreshers.

And thanks btw- I would’ve hemmed and hawed at getting something that wasn’t on my stubbornly decided list but I think your winky face was sortve “go on, you can do it.”

Or maybe that’s what I’m gonna tell the hubs.... ;) <3

Back
Top Bottom