Buying Hatching eggs?

Eggs can get pretty cold and still hatch. I've been ordering eggs and hatching them just fine and its been cold here so you'll probably be fine. It's a gamble anyways. Between the post office and incubation.... Lol. You just have to be prepared for no chicks and for a house full of them and keep your fingers crossed
smile.png

If eggs are packed right, it has to be really cold for them to freeze enroute. We use a lot of newspaper for packing and this insulates the eggs pretty well. If they freeze they are not going to hatch. Collecting the eggs before shipping would be more of a concern for me. When it is below freezing we gather eggs every hour.

Hard to say. If I was just answering on a message board, I'd say not to risk it.

However, it's been in the teens at night, 20s up to 34 during the day here, and I ordered eggs last week to be shipped 2000 miles to me.

I can't tell you if there will be a happy ending or not, as they're only 5 days in, and I'm sitting on my hands to not candle til 7 days. I'd tell myself I was a fool and an idiot. LOL

Eggs cannot freeze--they will not hatch. Time in transit varies a lot. I had two shipment arrive on a Monday--one shipped on Saturday and one on Thursday! Even with a lot of packing material the eggs were very cold. Only a few hatched.

Frozen eggs would be one of my concerns where the night temps are below 40 degrees.

GL

I think it depends on who is delivering your parcel. I had one parcel attached to my mailbox today with rubber bands because it was too big to fit in. If they leave the box on your doorstep and you are at work all day, they are going to freeze if it is very cold. But you can have the shipper send them addressed to your post office with a hold to call number so they don't sit outside for long periods.

I'm getting worried about my eggs... the ones you sent to me (Hot2Pot) have yet to arrive, and hopefully
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
they are ok. Our mail person is nice enough to honk the horn so the kids come out and get any packages, but tomorrow is Christmas Eve...

SO stressful! lol

Back
Top Bottom