Buying incubator v DID incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by estheramelia, Jan 31, 2016.

1. estheramelia

estheramelia Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2016
    HI
    I've been thinking about which incubator to use? Anyone had experience with both AUTOCORRECT. IT'S DIY. NOT DID. D:<

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  2. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    What kinds are you looking for

3. kuchchicks

kuchchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2015
    I do not have any experience with making my own. I am sure that between my husband and I, we could do it. (We literally built our own house). But I liked the idea of having something that was ready to go with a manual - at least in the beginning. I really had no idea what I was doing then. You can definitely find all of the pieces/parts that you need and I am sure build a really awesome bator. It may even be cheaper than what you buy (someone else who has done this could either confirm/deny that point). I know there are a lot of people on here that have built their own and have had great success.

I personally have had 3 different bators. The first one was a LG with the heating ring around the top. It did not come with a fan and we ended up adding one later. My hatch rates with that bator were not good. I had to constantly babysit it, and at best my hatch rates were around 30%. The second one was one that I borrowed from a friend when my LG was acting up (more so than usual! LOL!). This one did have a fan but also had a heating ring running around the top. The thing that I found with the heating ring is that there were definite hot/cold spots. Even with a fan (which did help) there was a temp differential.

Now the bator I have now is the Hova Bator Genesis 1588. I LOVE IT!!! It is so easy to use. It is as close to plug in and walk away as I think you can get for the money. I have an auto turner and 2 thermometer/hygorometers. I have to add water about every other day to keep humidity around 30%. My hatch rates now range from 87%-94%. I have looked at other units but for the money and the size I have a hard time switching to anything else.

4. estheramelia

estheramelia Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2016
    HI
    Ah! Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by