Buying incubator v DID incubator

estheramelia

In the Brooder
Jan 28, 2016
HI
I've been thinking about which incubator to use? Anyone had experience with both AUTOCORRECT. IT'S DIY. NOT DID. D:<

Last edited:
I do not have any experience with making my own. I am sure that between my husband and I, we could do it. (We literally built our own house). But I liked the idea of having something that was ready to go with a manual - at least in the beginning. I really had no idea what I was doing then. You can definitely find all of the pieces/parts that you need and I am sure build a really awesome bator. It may even be cheaper than what you buy (someone else who has done this could either confirm/deny that point). I know there are a lot of people on here that have built their own and have had great success.

I personally have had 3 different bators. The first one was a LG with the heating ring around the top. It did not come with a fan and we ended up adding one later. My hatch rates with that bator were not good. I had to constantly babysit it, and at best my hatch rates were around 30%. The second one was one that I borrowed from a friend when my LG was acting up (more so than usual! LOL!). This one did have a fan but also had a heating ring running around the top. The thing that I found with the heating ring is that there were definite hot/cold spots. Even with a fan (which did help) there was a temp differential.

Now the bator I have now is the Hova Bator Genesis 1588. I LOVE IT!!! It is so easy to use. It is as close to plug in and walk away as I think you can get for the money. I have an auto turner and 2 thermometer/hygorometers. I have to add water about every other day to keep humidity around 30%. My hatch rates now range from 87%-94%. I have looked at other units but for the money and the size I have a hard time switching to anything else.

Back
Top Bottom