buying Incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by davidb, Dec 25, 2009.

1. davidb

davidb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    Tomorrow is my birthday so Ive decided to get me a Incubator, My choices are limited, at our ts they only have to hover-bator probley not spelled right but I was wondering should I get the fan , Im getting the turner for sure.Ive always set my eggs under a hen so Ive never used one thank for the help

2. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

The fan keeps the temp and humidity more consistent throughout the bator. What does it cost? $30.00 more?? I would get all the bells and whistles available. After all, it's your birthday present! Happy Birthday!

3. davidb

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    ya its not to much more I was just wondering if it help and I guess it does thanks

4. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    I just put a computer fan in mine. I made an air baffle out of a cat food can lid and some washers and long bolts. There is a thread on here somewhere that shows how to do it. It was a lot cheaper than 30 dollars to make.

5. davidb

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    now your talking I like cheaper

6. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Hmmm.

Well, there's a time and cost factor..

1. Purchasing the fan option results in no delay in using the incubator and the fan will fall into the manufacturer's (hopefully) tested design...airflow characteristics, physical support/attachment points, wiring, etc.,. Cost....as stated above = ~$30

2. DIY fan would involve a delay while you locate the surplus parts....computer fan, possibly a power supply for fan, wires, screws, air deflector, stand-offs, whatever. Then figuring out the way to attach or where to locate the fan and to wire it so that it works correctly. Cost...possibly $00.00 if parts are scrounged from here and there...but there is an investment of some time.

Pick your poison. [​IMG]

Best wishes,
    Ed

7. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

hmm, since i build 2 my own bator i can't recommend any (if you ask [​IMG] )

i suggest building your own. [​IMG]

happy birthday. [​IMG]

8. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    I'd recommend saving a little more or maybe someone gives you money for Christmas? Anyway, I'd treat myself to a used cabinet incubator...check Ebay and Craigslist, there are a lot of deals out there...Humidaire up on Eggbid today...because after reading so many posts about the smaller tabletop models (I am guessing this is what TSC has for sale?) I would certainly not consider it a gift to myself to go through the amount of trouble people go through with those. I myself was guided away from them by a duck breeder and, even though I have so far only hatched chicks, I think it was the best advice he could have given me. I am going to pay back the sport right now and pass this advice along to you, because it seems to me the folks who don't have luck with those, and there are many, spend more time, sleep and money trying to troubleshoot what they are doing. Staying up all night trying to set a lockdown or buying lots of "cheap" gimmicky gadgets is not cheap in the long run.

There's been quite a few GQFs available out there lately used for good prices...now is a good time to look, because I have been told by several people that the market on incubators has gone through the roof this year and come spring they will likely get snapped up quick.

Happy birthday and good luck in your search! There was a guy with a quail farm not far from here that I would have referred you to, but people have already snapped up all his incubators and hatchers!

9. beerman

beerman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Smithville, il
    Used are cheap now, just got a sportsman 1500 for $300.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by