Buying Ostrich Help

I noticed this thread some weeks ago, before the replies were posted. Gee I'm pleased that people were forthright enough to post the replies that I now see here.

I suspect that, in a sadly-regulation-bound nation like Australia, not only would keeping an Ostrich in your living-room be ridiculous, it would be illegal.

Supreme Emu

Heh, not only woild it be illegal in the US as well, but it would probably be lethal as well. Good God, Ive got a male who likes to hang out in a wooded area of my property. He's a pain to push through the trees. I can't even imagine dodging his Bruce Lee kicks in my living room. What's more is I can't imagine a breeder who would sell to him. I certainly wouldn't,.

Hi everyone, i really like ostriches, and ostrich-like birds, but can't seem to know of any other ones. If anyone knows of a bird similar to ostriches, but smaller, please tell me.

I have a few questions:

1. What is the lifespan?

2. What is the smallest species?

3. What kind of ostrich is his? Apperantly its a "dwarf" ostrich:

4. I want to keep the ostrich in my house, kinda like a dog... Or in my backyard... How long does it tKe for them to reach a "reasonable" size, like the size i showed in the picture above.

5 any other good-looking flightless/semi-flightless/land/semi-land birds?

Thanks.
This is a joke, right?

Last edited:
There is something wrong with that bird. That thing has to be photo shopped. The neck is too short. Knees aren't showing properly. That "fence" wouldn't hold a goat let along an ostrich pushing up against it. The neck is good short. The body is too long. That thing is COMPLETELY out of proportion. And as for the poster... and the content, this has to be a joke.

When I saw that picture I googled dwarf ostrich and it appears there's an ostrich ranch in south africa with a few of these, but they're mutants, not an actual breed. The photo came from some ones vacation blog.

Ah now that makes more sense. Something like that wouldn't last in the wild. The body is too large to be agile. The legs are too short for them to stretch out and cruise. And the neck is tool short and they wouldn't be able to see over the grass plains and spot threats until the threat was jumping on their throat. I can believe 'genetic mutation'. I still can't believe the poster who wants to keep ANY bird in their house. Good God that would be a horrible thing. We don't even keep our day olds in the brooder room. Once they dry out in the hatcher, they go straight outside with the rest of the recently hatched 'minis'. The only thing we hold inside during hatching season are quail because they don't do good with drafts for the first week or so. But those are in GQF brooders that are self contained, have droppings trays and antibacterial mats. After that... out they go. Our outside brooders have lamps of course. But man, can you imagine the damage a baby ostrich would do, let alone a juvie indoors? I don't think the babies would survive without UVB light anyway. But that's another debate for another time lol :D

With all the information at hand online within the click of a button, it always amazes me at what people come on here and ask as opposed to just googling the information right away haha. Your question is almost so hilarious that I kept wondering if you were joking, because anyone should know better. Im not trying to be rude or make fun, just the idea of a Ostrich being kept in the house is simply not very bright. First of all, no Ostrich is 6 ft, they range from 7-9 ft tall, and 300-480 lbs. They are not intelligent animals at all, and cannot in anyway be potty trained or disciplined. They do not spit, but they can kick with a powerful enough force to break the neck of a grown Lion, and they will. The hoof like claws they have can rip chunks out of your chest and stomach if one decided to attack you. Biggest reasons they attack humans are being cornered, protecting eggs or chicks, and enraged testosterone during breeding season within males. As Nicophorus already mentioned, they will quickly destroy your house, and crap all over it. A birds metabolism is 7 times faster than a humans, and they will crap several times every hour, so how would you keep that cleaned up? You cant put a giant bird that you have no control over in a diaper. Ostriches are plains birds, and live in large open grasslands to run, graze, and keep healthy. If you dont have a large enough area for this, they will cost alot to feed, & their legs will grow crooked to the point that they may have to be killed. This also applies to Emus and Rheas, they are just not as large.

So true. If one were to google their question, it would invariably lead them to the appropriate thread on this site.
I have to say, REALLY?, YOU'RE ASKING THAT?
Unless one is asking about house ostriches which may lead nowhere.

this thread reminds me of the guy who contacted me wanting to keep an emu in his apartment... honestly.. he thought it would be a good idea... thought he could put diapers on it and take it for walks on a leash........

he.gif

I refused to sell to him or give him any encouragement... he was pretty adamant though... so no telling if he finally found one or not...

I have 26 years experience raising Ostriches, I can tell u that the bird in the pic is most likely as problems with genetics, in breeding.

Back
Top Bottom