Buzzards checking out my goslings- yikes!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mominoz, Apr 29, 2009.

1. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    Scary- They had cut the hayfield in front of my house and turkey buzzards were circling and feeding on something the cutters probably got or uncovered for two days.
    I had been taking my month old 4 Tufted Buff Goslings out in the fenced dog yard (dogs get locked inside to drool) to graze while I work outside or just inside the door, where I can keep an eye on them, also I go sit with them from time to time.
    I was doing something about 200 feet away and saw two buzzards s come low and start circling the goslings area. I ran shouting and waving my arms . The goslings came running over to me and huddled down. I them waved and shouted at he buzzards and they kept circling about 75-100 feet, so I sat with the babies and they huddled against my back (they usually stay about 1-2 feet away, except one who comes close and nibbles my jeans).
    Finally, I got my son to come and guard two, while I transported two at a time in a bin, to the garage pen .
    Next day, buzzards landed on my front yard around the same time. I watched as they flew away later and circled , then gradually moved north.
    I figure , they were looking for dinner, and were diffintely checking out the goslings.
    After reading the "Circle the rabbit and kill it story" by another member I changed my time of putting the goslings out. [​IMG]
    Now why did I want to live next to a National Forest?

2. preppy*hippie*chick

preppy*hippie*chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Centerburg, Ohio
    That was me who posted the rabbit story. Sorry to have alarmed you, but they always seem to appear when my little pullets are out. They're not agile enough to "stoop" like a hawk or owl, but they're so big - if they got lucky the weight alone would kill a small chicken or goose. It just creeps me out that they're so interested!

The very first day I had the girls out I was sitting in the grass about five feet away and heard a whoosh whoosh sound. I saw the shadow and looked up expecting to see a hawk, but it was a Buzzard swooping 10 feet overhead. When it went over I could feel the air fanned by it's wings. They're definitely interested and I wouldn't be shocked if they made an attempt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by