BYC Guinea hen club

Pics
Guinea eggs are kind of teardrop shaped. More pointed on the small end. Mine are cream colored or white. Some have speckles some don't.

I have my 7 guinea keets and 4 chicks partitioned off inside the main coop. My hubby is trying to convince me that at 3 wks they are ready to have the partition removed and let in with the older hens. None of them are broody. There have been a couple times that the keets and chicks have escaped the partition into the main coop, and the older hens have left them alone. The problem is that I do have one hen, Gertrude, that gets aggressive about food, and I'm afraid she'll try and keep all of the food from the babies. Gertrude clearly showed me the origins of the term "pecking order".

I would worry at that age. 3 weeks is quite young, I usually do 3 months. I currently have some chicks that are a month old that I haven't even put into the coops internal pen yet because I worry about them getting sick or something. That doesn't mean you can't sneak them in there but just be super careful i agree.

I'm raising 4 Guineas along with 15 (yet to figure out the sexes) chickens and 11 quail and get the biggest kick out of the guineas! We've decided to free range but leave the coop door open for coming and goings of Chicken Little (my runt chicken scared of everything)

I've noticed the guineas don't stay together. I've been raising them with the chickens, so they can protect them. One sometime two of the smaller guineas stay with the chickens and go their own way.

Yesterday had a rough day, heard screaming/commotion (may of been one if the guineas or a chick) from outside only to discover a hawk attacking one of the chicks.

The Guineas, Chicks & quail...well not sure how old they are, I've been raising them for 6 weeks now. The guineas are a good size but still have a ways to go but, how old will the be when they start to raise hell when a unwanted yard guest barges in?

Back
Top Bottom