BYC Member Interview - 21hens-incharge

Barbara, known to BYC members as 21hens-incharge, has been a member of our community since March, 2014. Another of our wonderful all rounders, she is known for her friendliness and good advice.

1. Tell us a bit more about yourself. (Family, hobbies, whatever personal stuff you feel like sharing)

My real world name is Barbara. I am 49 years old. That is almost half a century.....How did that happen?

I have a wonderful supportive understanding husband. We have been together since 2003. Between us there are 7 kids! All the kids are grown now. The youngest is 28 and does still live here, mostly because he is the most responsible one and we are sticking him with the house when we go. :gig

I have a bucket list. Yes I am working on it lol. I have crossed a couple things off it. I wanted to get my motorcycle license before I hit the big 50. I did that last fall just after hitting the big 49.

Now for that trip on the bike to Yellowstone....

2. Why and when did you start keeping chickens?

I started keeping chickens in 1997 I think. I actually started with ducks and geese. They were half grown and the feed store needed rid of them. Shortly after that I bought chicks. Why? Because I really wanted eggs from happy birds. I raised them in the barn with a heat lamp. I really am amazed that I only ever lost 2 chicks as chicks. One to getting to cold and one was a failure to thrive baby. I didn't have BYC or the wonderful people here to help me figure things out. Again I am amazed I did not lose them all! Their run was not covered, the fencing was short and there were tons of predators out there. I had Black Australorp, bantam Cochins, Columbian Wyandotte and Japanese Blacktail.

3. Which aspect(s) of chicken keeping do you enjoy the most?

I would have to say I really like having them out and about in the yard. They are very entertaining to watch running around, taking random dust baths and being chickens.

4. Which members of your flock, past and present, stand out for you and why?

Now your asking me to pick favourites. :hmm

I have had a few that went above and beyond in chicken world.

The bantam Cochins are a favorite breed and in the ones I have had the red rooster was incredible. His name was Scooter. Little dude would scoot under the big hens to avoid getting picked up. He had a very sing song like crow and I could hear him miles away. He remained very calm his whole life.
My current stand out would be Itty Bitty my bantam black cochin. She is so tiny and such a great mom that she is impossible not to like.

View attachment 1410296

Bitty with Kanga the Australorp.

View attachment 1410297

OMG look at those clown shoes!

View attachment 1410298

How could anyone not love her?

5. What was the funniest (chicken related) thing(s) that happened to you in your years as chicken owner?

Oh dear there have been many funny moments.

The Barred Rock roosting in the barn and dropping an egg bomb on my ex husband was pretty darn funny to me.

Then sweet little leghorn Pixie deciding she was a parrot and my shoulder was THE spot to hang out was also pretty funny.

I was weeding the flower bed last spring when my BSL came flying past me with a mouse in her beak. Needless to say she was followed by the entire flock in hot pursuit of the prize. The chase lasted a very long time. I was not as pleased when she decided to use me as a visual obstacle and eat the mouse right where I was trying to weed.

Pretty much any time I am in the yard with them I have a big ole grin because they are always doing something funny.

6. Beside chickens, what other pets do you keep?

We are a busy household with 4 dogs, 3 cats, a lovebird and a cockatiel. Two of the dogs are puppies so that is fun!

This is Sable our 7 month old Pitsky and Delilah our 15 week old Malamute.

View attachment 1410299

Who could resist a good game of whose mouths bigger?

View attachment 1410300

My big guys lol they are all black and hard to see.

View attachment 1410301

Little Tiki cute and LOUD little Tiki.

7. Anything you'd like to add?

YES! Of course there is.

I built my own coops. Yes hubby helped with the heavy stuff but the designs were mine with many borrowed ideas from the coop pages here on BYC. I did most of the work on them myself. Don't let people tell you your are not capable of great things.

A few pictures of a few of the coops I have built. OH and the nest boxes being inspected.

Somewhere buried deep within my computer are many more pictures.

View attachment 1410302 View attachment 1410303 View attachment 1410304 View attachment 1410305 View attachment 1410306

Inspectors sheesh!

It has been an amazing journey being a member of BYC. I have learned so much coming here and reading every day. I still learn something new every time I am here.

The people here are always supportive and kind even when the chips are down.

So many times I could have given up and I am grateful for all the folks on here keeping me going, not just relating to chickens or ducks but with many of the struggles that we all must face.

Nifty has made us a place to hang out, the staff keep us out of trouble and the members make us great!

Thank you everyone at BYC for having me and for being you.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/members/21hens-incharge.264500/

See here for more about the interview feature and a complete list of member interviews:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/905602/introducing-vip-member-interviews/0_30
Great interview 💖 loved learning more about you and your coops are great !! Thanks for sharing your story with us.

What a pleasure to meet you and read your interview :frow love the pictures! Sable and Delilah look adorable (any more pics to share? :D )
You sound so independent, I like that! My mom always told me growing up, "you dont need a man to do anything for you when you can do it yourself." Your coops look amazing! I bet you look pretty bad (in a good way!) riding your motorcycle. I've only been on the back of one, once and it was so much fun and freeing. Did you ever make it to Yellowstone?

Back
Top Bottom