1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

BYC Member Interview - Blooie

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by sumi, Sep 9, 2015.

1. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG][​IMG]Blooie, when does your novel come out?

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Nice interview!

3. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Thank you, BantamFan4Life. I enjoy reading your posts!

Diva, I dunno when it will be ready for it's reading audience of 4. I have, according to my outline, 3 chapters left to finish. Then I'll need to proof-read, re-read, and then take the big scary chance of submitting it. I have an ace in the hole, though.

A few years ago I was reading a novel by one of my favorite authors, and I wasn't very far into the book when I slammed it shut and tossed it across the room. Good thing it was paper book and not on my iPad, because I really let that thing fly. Nothing aggravates me more than when the author takes all the time in the world to acknowledge that most of the events in the book are true....especially when she is praised to the sky about her historical accuracy and talks about that herself in the acknowledgement section of the book.

In this particular book, set in Scotland in the 1200s, our intrepid heroine is love with the stable boy, but she has just learned that her father has signed a marriage contract with a man she doesn't even know. So far so good. But then she writes a note and asks her maid to deliver it to the stable boy. She asks the maid if she can hurry with the delivery and wait for an answer. The maid replies (and these words are burned into my brain), "I shall be as swift as a hummingbird's wings, m'lady." BANG - down went the book! First of all, the chances of a young lady in Scotland in 1200 knowing how to read and write were slim to nil - and the chances of the stableboy being able to read her message and respond were even less. Okay, I could overlook that if it added to the story and if the author hadn't patted herself on the back for her historical accuracy. BUT hummingbirds are only found in North, South, and Central America and Mexico.
    They don't exist in Scotland or any of Europe for that matter. How the heck would an uneducated maid in the isolated northern isles of Scotland know what a hummingbird was, let alone know how fast the wings beat? Well, I stewed about it for days, then finally sent an email to the author of that book. She was stunned! Seriously? She didn't think of the reading and writing and the chances of a hummingbird being in Scotland? Her proof readers didn't? Her editors didn't? Sheesh.

Well, that started an email friendship and her encouragement has been invaluable. So I plan on taking her up on her offer to read my book when it's done. We'll see! [​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]Good for you Blooie.[​IMG] The best part is the friendship.

5. Lynn Manes

Lynn Manes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2015
    California
    Great interview Diane. Nice to meet you and your family.

6. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Thank you most kindly, lynnhill!

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Loved the interview! While we have not 'officially' been introduced, I have seen and read many of your posts while commenting (or lurking) on BYC .. Whenever I see 'Blooie' I know that it is going to be a well thought out, beautifully worded post and if appropriate, very entertaining .. thank you! [​IMG]

8. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    RATS! There went another rafter out of the roof. I'm gonna need a two story house if my head gets any bigger here! Thank you for the kind words, Teila.

9. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    Great interview Blooie! Really enjoyed reading it - thanks for sharing.

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Thank you! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by