BYC Member Interview - Debs Flock

Deb, known to BYC members as Debs Flock, has been a member of our community since April 2015. Another of our wonderful all rounders, she is known for her helpfulness and love of the community.

1. Tell us a bit more about yourself.

I have one son that's 26. Thankfully, he's local, at least for now. He's determined to move someplace that doesn't have winter and I don't blame him a bit. I just hope I can join him someday. I'm very close to my dad (yes, I'm a daddy's girl) & step-mom who are also local.

I'll share some stuff that people here don't know about me. I sang back-up in an all female rock band in my late-teens into early 20's. Wish I could've stuck with it, but my son took priority. On one of my favorite vacations I got to feed a baby rhino, feed/pet lots of giraffes & pet a dolphin. I used to crew for a couple that owned a hot air balloon so I've been up about a dozen times. I have volunteered with a variety of pet rescue organizations over the years. In addition to working with the critters, I really enjoyed helping to organize fundraisers.

Aside from all my critters, I enjoy reading, doing some crafts and goofing off on BYC. Naturally, I'm always pondering adding more mouths to feed. I'd love to have goats someday. Oh, I wonder if I could ever keep Alpacas. The only thing I'm certain about is that we'll be adding Calls next year, hopefully Spring/early Summer.

I live on 2 acres in an area considered rural. We're about 25 miles southwest of St. Louis, MO. We've (my long term boyfriend & I) been in the house 5 years next month. Just a couple of months after we moved into our house, on Halloween, I broke my ankle in 3 places when I fell down the deck stairs. I have a metal plate & a dozen screws in my right ankle. I wasn't able to begin walking again until February of 2013.

2. Why and when did you start keeping chickens?

I have ducks rather than chickens. I used to visit this park, at least once a week for years, that had ducks & geese on their pond. At that time, I couldn't even tell the difference between ducks & geese. I just knew I loved watching them. It was very relaxing. One of them (I much later found out was a Toulouse goose) used to follow me around. I fell in love.

I don't recall how, but it occurred to me that if people could keep backyard chickens, maybe backyard ducks could be kept as pets, too. That got me started researching, which led me to BYC, of course. I read for months before I felt ready. Then I bought 4 ducklings at our local feed store. That was April 2015. We added 4 more ducklings in March of 2016. Thankfully, in the first group of 4 I ended up with only one drake Pekin and we named him Donald. The other 3 from the original group are 2 Rouens named Dorie and Daffy and a Pekin named Alfalfa (for her small crest). We ordered all females the following year. Cricket the Cayuga, Bailey the Buff and 2 Welshies named Willow & Walnut.

3. Which aspect(s) of duck keeping do you enjoy the most?

I enjoy watching them interact with each other. I love when they swim. Bringing them treats is most entertaining. They all have their own personalities.

4. Which members of your flock, past and present, stand out for you and why?

Well, they're all still present, thank goodness. Donald has the most personality. He'll stop walking right in front of me when he wants some petting. I just wish he wasn't so rough on his hens!

5. What was the funniest (duck related) thing(s) that happened to you in your years as duck owner?

I caused one of the funniest moments we've had so far. I persuaded one of our members, kukupecpec, to make bandanas for my original 4 ducks. Picture me chasing them around to put the bandanas on and some had gotten their's off before I had everyone wearing one. Of course, they hated them so I decided I'd just get some pics and then take them all off. Silly me, I really thought they wouldn't mind these small bits of cloth around their necks.

6. Beside ducks, what other pets do you keep?

We have 2 lab/great pyrenees dogs. Brother (named Kendall) & sister (named Clover) that are almost 5 years old. We have 3 cats: Male gray tabby named Scooter that's around 3. Female torti named Peanut that's almost 6 and her sister a tuxedo named Lucy. We added 2 kittens, that are brothers, a few weeks ago that are almost 4 months old. They're both solid black. The long-haired one is named Dusty and the other is Taz.

7. Anything you'd like to add?

I am extremely grateful to BYC. Without this site, I don't think I ever would have felt confident enough to keep ducks as pets. I've made many great friends here (love ya lamps & pondies!!). My goal is to meet as many of these friends as possible.

View attachment 1090248 From left to right, Willow, Cricket, Bailey, Walnut.

View attachment 1090249 From left to right, Willow, Walnut, Cricket & Bailey.

View attachment 1090250 Dorie, Daffy & Alfalfa.

View attachment 1090251 Alfalfa with her bum to us, Daffy to her left, Donald looking at the camera & Dorie munching on something she found.

View attachment 1090252 Donald wearing his bandana.

View attachment 1090253 Dorie sporting her bandana.

View attachment 1090254 Donald & I.

View attachment 1090255 All the cats/kittens.

View attachment 1090256 Dusty sort of upside down and Taz.

View attachment 1090257 Clover & Kendall (the blond one)

View attachment 1090258 Waiting for treats.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/members/debs-flock.347956/

See here for more about the interview feature and a complete list of member interviews:https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/905602/introducing-vip-member-interviews/0_30
Very nice....glad I don't have your feed bill anymore.

Back
Top Bottom