BYC Member Interview - Dr Evy

@Dr Evy

Come say hello to Evy! She's been a member since April 2021 and comes to us from Minnesota.

1. Tell us a bit more about yourself. And is there a story behind your member name?
Hi guys, you all know me as Dr Evy, but at home I’m Evy (pronounced Eh-vee if anyone was wondering) or Evelyn.
I’m a student working hard towards my dreams of becoming a veterinarian. I live with my parents and my three siblings in central Minnesota. I have two brothers and one sister and I’m the third child. My family and I are Christians.
I’m a very outdoorsy person. Really our whole family is super outdoorsy, but I win for being the most lol. I love all things where I can be out in nature, but I prefer to do things that give me physical activity too. So hiking, kayaking, and camping (we do canoe camping) are my main go-to’s for when I want to get out. I do occasionally enjoy fishing too.
I’m also really into nature photography. Mostly wildlife. But if I were to show you all my photos I’ve taken, it would mostly be pictures of birds. Bird are my favorite animal, and no matter how hard I try to take pictures of other things I still always get more bird pictures.
I posted some of my pictures on the wildlife photography thread if you want to see some of my photography!
Another thing I’ve pretty recently gotten into is gardening. I’m still not great at it, but I’m learning lol. The gardeners of BYC have helped me with my gardening skills. I just recently had to do “plant surgery” to remove some grubs. If someone on BYC didn’t help me know that was what was going on the grubs probably would’ve killed my plants.

There is kind of a story behind my member name: Like I mentioned earlier when I’m older I plan to be a veterinarian. So since a veterinarian is an animal doctor I thought, “Dr Evy”. I probably should’ve taken into consideration that people would genuinely think I was a real doctor. My bad!

2. Why and when did you start keeping chickens? (or any other poultry you have)
I actually started with ducks. I grew up in northern Indiana where we had a big property with water on it. In 2012 my parents decided to buy a dozen ducklings for my siblings and me to raise. I’m not sure why exactly they decided they wanted ducks, but I’m glad they did. I loved those ducks so much, and I wish we could’ve taken them with us to Minnesota.
View attachment 3213158 View attachment 3213159
(Pictures of me and my ducks ^)

On Christmas of 2020 my parents got me an egg incubator as my present, and in February of 2021 I had plans to hatch some chicken eggs. We weren’t prepared to have chickens of our own, and really my parents didn’t want any yet. They got me the incubator because my school curriculum wanted me to hatch chicken eggs. I didn’t know that I would fall so in love with chickens. Unfortunately the plan had already been set, the chicks that hatched were to go to a friend’s farm.
I started with a dozen eggs, they were supposed to be GLW, SLW, and white Wyandotte eggs. (I say supposed to be because the “white Wyandotte” that hatched didn’t really look like a white Wyandotte).
8 eggs started developing and all 8 eggs hatched. One chick died very soon after hatching and one died when he was a couple weeks old. I raised those chicks until they were about 8 weeks old, then I brought five of them to my friend’s farm.
View attachment 3213163

That’s how I got into chickens. But technically at the moment, I do not have my own chickens. My plan is to get my own this fall if I can get the coop built first.

3. Which aspects of poultry keeping do you enjoy the most?
Like everyone, I enjoy the fresh eggs. But I also enjoy the companionship. It’s so cool how each chicken is unique, not only in the way they look but in their different personalities. I love the way you can bond to a chicken and a chicken to you. They’re such sweet and silly creatures.

4. Which members of your flock, past and present, stand out for you and why?
There’s two chicks I will never forget. Pip and Ozzy. Those two were my little buddies, I miss them so much. Pip is a “white Wyandotte” and Ozzy is a Golden laced Wyandotte.
Pip was just a crazy little girl. She had the most rambunctious personality. That’s what stood out to me for her. Her personality actually made me think she was a cockerel at first, but she ended up being a pullet.
Pip and I really bonded. She along with Ozzy both hatched with splayed legs and bad curled toes, so the two of them were quarantined together while I treated them for that. But since those two were alone I spent a lot of time with them. Pip would follow me everywhere, I always had to be careful when I was walking around with her out because she was always right at my heels. And if I would walk away from her too fast she would do a little jump and then run/hop while flapping her wings as fast as she could towards me.
View attachment 3213166
View attachment 3213168
Pip ^

Ozzy is special to me in a different way. He was so sweet and docile. He loved being held and he would always fall asleep in my hand. He loved me and I loved him. When he was only a week or two old he developed what I thought to be a slipped tendon. (Another chick actually developed one too but he sadly passed away). Even through my best efforts, I was unable to fix his leg. I made the decision to not cull him, and give him a chance at life.
View attachment 3213171
(Ozzy during his treatment^)
So I went to Home Depot, and I got the supplies to build him a chicken wheelchair. (The look on the Home Depot worker’s face when I told him what I was doing was priceless).
View attachment 3213174
But I knew I couldn’t keep Ozzy because he was a cockerel and I’m unable to keep them where I live. So after searching for a while, I found somebody who was willing to take him in. She was a nice lady who lived on a hobby farm, and although she had never kept a handicapped chicken she was willing to try. I haven’t heard from her in a while, but I still like to believe Ozzy is doing well. Here’s a picture she sent me of Ozzy and his new best friend.
View attachment 3213175
And here’s pictures of Pip & Ozzy
View attachment 3213177
View attachment 3213178

5. What was the funniest poultry related thing that has happened to you in your years as an owner?
Honestly since I didn’t have chickens very long, this is the funniest thing I have.
View attachment 3213179
This. Just this picture. The angriest looking chick ever :gig

6. Beside poultry, what other pets do you keep?
I have two dogs. My 9 year old dog Sweety, and my 10 month old puppy Romeo.
Sweety is a mutt. Maybe Shih tzu x Maltese? My grandfather brought her to me from the Philippines.
Romeo is a bordoodle (border collie x poodle)
View attachment 3213180
Sweety ^

View attachment 3213182
Romeo ^

I also have my two year old pineapple green cheeked conure, Ruby.
View attachment 3213183

I also keep fish. Here’s my betta, Quinten.
View attachment 3213184

And I have three turtles. Scooter, Rocco, and Gabriel. Rocco and Gabriel are painted turtles and Scooter is a red eared slider. They live outside in a large pond my brother and I built this summer.
View attachment 3213185
Rocco ^

Then my brother has a bearded dragon, Ziggy.
View attachment 3213187

And my sister’s cat, Ivy.
View attachment 3213189

7. Anything you'd like to add?
I want to thank everyone on BYC! Not just for reading this, but for helping me through my journey, and teaching me everything I need to know about chickens. Looking back now, I’m glad I didn’t keep the chicks I hatched because I wasn’t ready. But you guys have helped my learn how to properly care for chickens, and now I’m really ready to keep my own.

@Dr Evy

For more information about the interview feature and a complete list of member interviews:

introducing-vip-member-interviews.905602
I have not gotten past the two picture of you as a little girl with your ducks because I had to comment!!!! Your pictures from when you were little ARE SO SO SO ADORABLE!! And even that word doesn’t seem good enough! Your smile and perfect little girl innocence makes me want to hug the little girl you and read you a story! Haha.
Thank you for sharing those photos. They melted my heart.
Definitely one of the cutest photos I’ve seen in a while.

I have not gotten past the two picture of you as a little girl with your ducks because I had to comment!!!! Your pictures from when you were little ARE SO SO SO ADORABLE!! And even that word doesn’t seem good enough! Your smile and perfect little girl innocence makes me want to hug the little girl you and read you a story! Haha.
Thank you for sharing those photos. They melted my heart.
Definitely one of the cutest photos I’ve seen in a while.
Haha aww thank you so much!! That was really sweet. I appreciate it!

Haha aww thank you so much!! That was really sweet. I appreciate it!
You’re welcome. I have that Mom mentality I guess. I also love how your mom did your hair! I assume your mom braided it? The property in the photos of Your old home looks like a wonderful place to grow up and explore.
Your choice to put the DR. Was a great idea in my opinion! Because one day you will be a vet if you really want to and work hard. As long as you stay away from the wrong crowd of people and know what you want in life. You can accomplish anything.
I wanted so bad to be a mom and raise my own child.
I wasnt sure it would happen. I prayed and asked God specifically for things most people don’t want these days.
Now I’m a stay at home mom raising my gift from God.

You’re welcome. I have that Mom mentality I guess. I also love how your mom did your hair! I assume your mom braided it? The property in the photos of Your old home looks like a wonderful place to grow up and explore.
Your choice to put the DR. Was a great idea in my opinion! Because one day you will be a vet if you really want to and work hard. As long as you stay away from the wrong crowd of people and know what you want in life. You can accomplish anything.
I wanted so bad to be a mom and raise my own child.
I wasnt sure it would happen. I prayed and asked God specifically for things most people don’t want these days.
Now I’m a stay at home mom raising my gift from God.
Yep, she did braid it. Still does 😆
It was the best! I miss my old yard so much.
That’s amazing! Thank you so much!

Yep, she did braid it. Still does 😆
It was the best! I miss my old yard so much.
That’s amazing! Thank you so much!
Awww! You are lucky to have a nice mom. My mother was not a good person. It’s been years since I’ve seen or talked to her. No need to put details. Always remember how Lucky you are to have a mom who loves you so much she still does your hair when you’re older haha.

Last edited:
I’m really sorry I forgot to thank the rest of you!!
Wonderful interview 'Eh-vee' :D Best wishes on becoming a real DVM.
Great interview :clap
Your dog Sweety is adorable! :love
I love your interview Dr. Evy❣️ Beautiful pictures. I'll be checking out your photography thread. Good luck with your education 👏 I know you're going to be a wonderful veterinarian.
Thanks for sharing your story, and good luck in achieving your goals.
Wonderful interview, good luck and best wishers.
I loved your interview and pics, best of luck achieving your goals. I'm certain you'll be wonderful.
Evy, thanks for doing an interview...I've seen you over on the New Member forum doing a ton of greets and finally got a chance to say "hello" to you! Your photos are awesome, best wishes with all your plans!
Nice to officially meet you Evy. Love all you different critters and especially you dogs. Good luck with your studies. The world needs more Veterinarians.
Hi from me in Australia Evy! Romeo looks like such a good boy 🤗
Awww Evy I love Sweety! He's dumb!
Keep taking pictures you are very good at it.

Thanks for sharing with us!
I know she is 😆 cute dumb and genuinely dumb, I love her anyway though
It was nice to read your interview, thank you for sharing 💜 You have a lot of adventures on your fingertips and you have a great eye for photography! Love the pictures.
Hi @Dr Evy please excuse my misspelling (wishes) after all, I have a 6th grade education, :lol:I finally got all your pictures to download, poor internet service here in rural Ohio. Nice photos of all your beautiful creatures. The little black chick is so cute! it should be entered in the caption contest. :frow:love
I took your advice and won!
Thanks for the Interview!
standing ovation clap GIF
Great dogs there Dr. Evy.
Great Interview nice to officially meet you !
Such a wonderful interview! 😍
You demonstrate a real passion for animal welfare and I pray you follow your dreams to become a DVM.
We had hamsters named Pip and Ozzy! 😮
Loved seeing all your animals and great photos! I hope your dream to become a veterinarian comes true!!
Wonderful interview, Evy! Can't believe I didn't see this sooner!
Thanks Bukky :hugs
Hope you can fulfill your dreams of becoming a vet who knew we had so many things in common as I also want to be a vet but I am still in High school and worried about college
Follow your dreams! I believe in you!!

Thank you all so much, you’re all the best!!! Sorry again for forgetting to thank you all :hugs

Back
Top Bottom