BYC Member Interview - Pyxis - **UPDATE 07-08-21 page 3**

** UPDATE on @Pyxis 07-08-21 **

It's been a few years since @Pyxis's interview, it's time to catch up!

I can't believe it's been six years! Lots has changed in that time.

In the previous interview, I talked about being in college for a vet tech degree. I did end up doing the vet tech thing for a bit, but after dealing with a pretty toxic work environment in that field, I ended up leaving and now work in a feed store. I actually really enjoy it most of the time. I'm the resident poultry expert, so whenever people come in with questions about their birds or are looking at getting chicks for the first time, they get sent to me and I get them sorted out. It also means that I'm forever taking home the chicks that come in that aren't doing so well from shipping, haha.

Another of the biggest changes in my life since then is that about three years ago, I added emus to my farm! I had always wanted them, so when a raffle came up for an emu egg I, on a whim, bought $15 worth of spots in the raffle. Well, guess who won? From there it snowballed, and I ended up buying more eggs and hatching two emu chicks, then doing eggs again the next couple years. So now I have two adults, Ciara and Sebastian, and two chicks hatched this year, Blue and a brand new Blonde chick who hasn't been named yet. Yep, that's right, emus come in more than one color!

Screen Shot 2021-07-08 at 4.44.46 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-08 at 4.45.24 AM.png

In addition to the emus, I still have my chickens, ducks, and geese, of course. I also now have coturnix quail, turkeys, guinea fowl, pheasants, and even pigeons! I keep Romanian Naked Neck Tumbler pigeons.
Screen Shot 2021-07-08 at 4.46.17 AM.png

In terms of non-poultry pets, there have been some changes. I had to say goodbye to Frodo, my dog, about four years ago. It was his time; he was 13 years old, which is a very good lifespan for a dog his size.

I also had to say goodbye to B.W, my 21 year old cat, earlier this year in March. She had liver cancer, so it was her time.

Caramel is still with me, though! She is about nine years old now. She still lets me dress her up in silly costumes. Boo, my black cat, is still with us too. And I'm contemplating getting a kitten this year, but don't tell her that!

In my interview I talked about how I usually had parrots, but didn't at the time after losing my sun conure. Last year I adopted two cockatiels, Cricket and Luna. Cricket is at least five and has had at least five known previous homes before me. Luna is now just a little over a year old. I got her before she was even six months, and I was already her second home. Parrots, unfortunately, often get passed around like this, because prospective owners just don't do enough research on what it's like to own a parrot, or they romanticize it. Luna, for example, was being rehomed because she was 'too loud' in the small house of the family that had her. But no more being passed around for these two!

After being kept in a cage for so long, Cricket is cage-bound, which is something we are working on. Luna has no such issues and wants to be outside her cage and on her human as much as possible.
Screen Shot 2021-07-08 at 4.47.08 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-08 at 4.47.45 AM.png

In my interview I wrote about Lacie goose, my hand-raised Tufted Roman whom I was hoping to get a mate for the next spring. Well, I did! In fact, I now have a flock of nine geese. This year Lacie, her daughter Zilla, and her mate Apollo are raising three adopted goslings for me that came from another breeder.

In this picture, Lacie is the one to the right, munching on the flock block. Apollo, her mate, is in the middle, and on the left is Zilla, her daughter.
Screen Shot 2021-07-08 at 4.48.29 AM.png

❤Wonderful update! ❤
I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved pets.
My Boo Cat recently (very recently) acquired an unwanted "buddy". She isn't too impressed with the new kitten, just yet. I hope your Boo will be thrilled to have a new companion.
Your NN pigeon is adorable! I had no idea there was such a thing.
Your a stellar human being to provide a home for so many animals.
Best of luck to you, and your menagerie!

** UPDATE on @Pyxis 07-08-21 **

It's been a few years since @Pyxis's interview, it's time to catch up!

I can't believe it's been six years! Lots has changed in that time.

In the previous interview, I talked about being in college for a vet tech degree. I did end up doing the vet tech thing for a bit, but after dealing with a pretty toxic work environment in that field, I ended up leaving and now work in a feed store. I actually really enjoy it most of the time. I'm the resident poultry expert, so whenever people come in with questions about their birds or are looking at getting chicks for the first time, they get sent to me and I get them sorted out. It also means that I'm forever taking home the chicks that come in that aren't doing so well from shipping, haha.

Another of the biggest changes in my life since then is that about three years ago, I added emus to my farm! I had always wanted them, so when a raffle came up for an emu egg I, on a whim, bought $15 worth of spots in the raffle. Well, guess who won? From there it snowballed, and I ended up buying more eggs and hatching two emu chicks, then doing eggs again the next couple years. So now I have two adults, Ciara and Sebastian, and two chicks hatched this year, Blue and a brand new Blonde chick who hasn't been named yet. Yep, that's right, emus come in more than one color!

View attachment 2751608
View attachment 2751609

In addition to the emus, I still have my chickens, ducks, and geese, of course. I also now have coturnix quail, turkeys, guinea fowl, pheasants, and even pigeons! I keep Romanian Naked Neck Tumbler pigeons.
View attachment 2751610

In terms of non-poultry pets, there have been some changes. I had to say goodbye to Frodo, my dog, about four years ago. It was his time; he was 13 years old, which is a very good lifespan for a dog his size.

I also had to say goodbye to B.W, my 21 year old cat, earlier this year in March. She had liver cancer, so it was her time.

Caramel is still with me, though! She is about nine years old now. She still lets me dress her up in silly costumes. Boo, my black cat, is still with us too. And I'm contemplating getting a kitten this year, but don't tell her that!

In my interview I talked about how I usually had parrots, but didn't at the time after losing my sun conure. Last year I adopted two cockatiels, Cricket and Luna. Cricket is at least five and has had at least five known previous homes before me. Luna is now just a little over a year old. I got her before she was even six months, and I was already her second home. Parrots, unfortunately, often get passed around like this, because prospective owners just don't do enough research on what it's like to own a parrot, or they romanticize it. Luna, for example, was being rehomed because she was 'too loud' in the small house of the family that had her. But no more being passed around for these two!

After being kept in a cage for so long, Cricket is cage-bound, which is something we are working on. Luna has no such issues and wants to be outside her cage and on her human as much as possible.
View attachment 2751611
View attachment 2751612

In my interview I wrote about Lacie goose, my hand-raised Tufted Roman whom I was hoping to get a mate for the next spring. Well, I did! In fact, I now have a flock of nine geese. This year Lacie, her daughter Zilla, and her mate Apollo are raising three adopted goslings for me that came from another breeder.

In this picture, Lacie is the one to the right, munching on the flock block. Apollo, her mate, is in the middle, and on the left is Zilla, her daughter.
View attachment 2751613
:frow that was fun reading! I'm sorry for all your losses. You've definitely been busy these last 6 years :) Sounds like quite an adventure with a farm life.
Thank you for the update, its nice to get to know you!

Back
Top Bottom