BYC Member Interview - sonew123

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
Natalie, known to BYC members as sonew123, has been a member of our community since March 2009. Another of our wonderful all rounders, she is known for her friendliness, good advice and beautiful flock of chickens.

1. Tell us a bit more about yourself. (Family, hobbies, whatever personal stuff you feel like sharing)

I'm 44.. Married 22 years, 2 gorgeous daughters, 20 and 17. One studying to be a midwife, the other a cosmotologist.

I'm a senior Supervisor for a cancer and immunology research center for 15 years. We deal with mice. Im in charge of the animal facilities. I'm also back in college to be an RN… woooo whipped.

2. Why and when did you start keeping chickens?

Chickens were gifted to me as chicks years ago and I hated them. Stinky filthy creatures. I was angry when the family took them in all excited. I refused to help but then within weeks the excitement wore down. I noticed the eager family was no longer excited and someone had to care for the birds, me! I slowly fell in love and became addicted. Now I raise, breed, cull, all my birds. I raise Bresse meat birds for the freezer and all others for egg colors to make ornaments, that Miss Prissy taught me to do years ago. All eggs that are blown out are made into quiches for the freezer.

3. Which aspect(s) of chicken keeping do you enjoy the most?

The first eggs from my girls are my favorite parts. I save certain "first eggs" because they are a symbol of all my blood sweat and tears to get them to that point!

4. Which members of your flock, past and present, stand out for you and why?

Judge Judy was my first and last white crested black polish girl. She was a goofball and I adored her. Every night we had to hunt the property for her and sure enough she was always out in the wide open like a stump or in a potted plant hunkered down for bed. Of course we carry her back to the coop every night to be locked up… She was 3 when wild dogs got into our property and wiped out almost half my flocks! Sad day indeed.

5. What was the funniest (chicken related) thing(s) that happened to you in your years as chicken owner?

Good grief, I don't know where to begin! I can't tell you how many times I have washed clothes in the washer forgetting my pockets were filled with eggs! Shells everywhere!!!

6. Beside chickens, what other pets do you keep?

I have 6 ducks that are all about 6yrs old
Cocker spaniel that is 7
Chihuahua that's 16
Shelter cat that is 16
Bearded dragon that is 5
And fair won goldfish age unknown?

7. Anything you'd like to add?

My word of advice to all newbies… PLEASE do yourself a favor and read the posts before asking questions. 90% of the time the answers are right there and you just haven't read it yet. Do the work... Learn, educate yourself, be humble when others try to help you. Help others as much as possible if you know the 100% correct answer.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/u/25181/sonew123

See here for more about the interview feature and a complete list of member interviews: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/905602/introducing-vip-member-interviews/0_30

What a fun interview, thank you for sharing a bit of yourself with everyone!

Lovely interview Natlaie :D
Have loved looking at your pics and Judge Judy sounds like she was a very special lady. I'm sorry to hear you lost her. I have 2 white crested black ladies in my flock and they sure are crazy critters!!

Thanks for sharing :highfive:

Natalie, succinct, and to the point. Especially #7! Awesome advice. If newbies would just start doing thread searches, they'd learn so very much. It's just as important to learn how to do something, as it is to learn how not to do it!!! Thanks for sharing with us.

Your ornaments are beautiful!

I have to say, I've bent over and made pocket omelettes but I've never had eggs make it in the washer--you win there
lau.gif
. I can't imagine cleaning up that mess!

@sonew123
That was a fun interview!
1f60a.png
You sound like you squeezed it in while going a hundred miles an hour on your way to doing something else. I admire your energy! (Care to share a little?) The ornaments are lovely! Thank you for sharing and for your reading advice. Typing just a few words in a BYC search can pull up a myriad of ideas and helpful advice!

Back
Top Bottom