BYC Member Interview - Speckledhen **UPDATE 01-01-21 page 8**

**UPDATE on speckledhen 01-01-21**
It's been several years since @speckledhen's member interview was first posted; as she was the very first member to be interviewed, it's only fitting she be the first to do an update! Let's catch up with Cynthia! :)

Not sure I could begin to talk about how much has happened since that time, so many years have passed! We still live on a small mountain acreage at the tail end of the Blue Ridge. In the last two or three years, we've lost about 25+ of our hens and roosters, almost all of them to simple old age, not one to predators. That includes Tiny the Terrorist Attack hen about a month ago-I swear, I thought that cantankerous old gal would live to be 20, but she made it to almost 11 years old. She did get featured in the 2020 Oct/Nov issue of Backyard Poultry magazine before she died, guess fame was just too much for her, LOL. We still have some hens from early in our chicken keeping, some are 12 and 13 years old. Even some of those pesky little Belgian D'Anvers are still here, the oldest are almost 10 now. Lost the longest living hen, a Barred Rock named Amanda, early this year at 13; she even laid eggs every year except this one! The biggest difference in my flocks were the Partridge/Blue partridge Brahmas I hatched over 4 ½ years ago. They have been my main focus, other than my two lines of Barred Plymouth Rocks.

The cat who adopted us in November 2014, Finn, is still with us and an integral part of our lives. Been thinking about the direction my poultry keeping will go soon. We need to change some things up, maybe go back to my original type mixed, fun flock, no separate breeding groups anymore, maybe get guinea fowl again. I have to simplify those chores for personal reasons-my disabled veteran husband's degenerative disc disease has progressed further so we have trouble keeping these 5 ½ acres up, hence simplifying my flocks.

I am involved in my YouTube channel, Roots, Rocks & Feathers, where I do videos about raising chickens, homesteading, frugal and simple living, etc, but I have almost stopped quilting entirely and even plan to sell my machine, just can't keep up with "things" enough to relax and create much.. I haven't been as active as I was in the past on BYC for various reasons, but I still keep my longest running threads updated. This year has me exclaiming repeatedly, "Beam me up, Scotty!" but we've been well, living healthy, growing gardens and canning our food, no "bugs" have invaded other than the stinkbug kind!

You're welcome! Finn is a fixture around here now. He is attached to my former cat-hater hubby by some invisible cord, LOL. Wishing you an awesome 2021, no matter what we think it will be. We refuse to accept anything less, right?

Absolutely, nothing but awesome from here on out!
I forgot about your DH's "cat hater" name :gig Boy, did Finn ever take care of that!

Back
Top Bottom