BYC Member Interview - Speckledhen **UPDATE 01-01-21 page 8**

Pics

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
This member needs no introduction. Our beloved Cynthia, known to all as speckledhen has been a BYC member since February 2007. She joined the Staff as a moderator in September 2007 and did a fantastic job working with the community, until she stepped down from her position in August 2012. Cynthia kindly agreed to be the first member interviewed for BYC and she also agreed to give you all the opportunity to follow up on this interview with your own questions. Please be considerate and do not ask any questions of an overly personal or offensive nature. **The interviewee reserves the right to refuse to answer any questions she does not feel comfortable with**

I hope you all enjoy getting to know our "mother hen" a bit better!

1. Cynthia, tell us a bit more about yourself.

I am the wife of a retired Air Force Msgt. We've been married for almost 39 years (yep, I was a teenage bride) and have two grown sons, one married. No grandchildren. The younger son lives in Korea teaching English. Older one is a restaurant manager. We are Georgia natives and came back here after my husband retired, but moved further and further away from the city until we ended up here in the North Georgia mountains almost within a pinky's reach of the North Carolina border. My husband is an online Bible teacher who loves to oil paint and is currently learning to play the violin on a 150 year old family heirloom fiddle. He says the chickens are mine, but they tend to disagree. They all love him. In addition to keeping chickens, I have an internet handmade crafts business, Blue Roo Creations, started with my dear friend I met right here on BYC, Cetawin aka Ladyhawk Smith. The business is named for both our beloved Blue Orpington roosters. We sell crocheted and quilted crafts, handmade soaps and scrubs, braintan deer hides, beaded crafts, etc, even hatching eggs and birds on occasion.

2. Why did you start keeping chickens?

We started keeping chickens for healthier eggs. We wanted rich, unadulterated, fresh free range eggs.

3. Which aspect(s) of chicken keeping do you enjoy the most?

What I enjoy most about keeping chickens is the affection I receive back from them and the nuances of their personalities I get to observe closely every day. They are more intelligent and amazing than most give them credit for. They keep us both active on a daily basis. Eggs are really a bonus.

4. Which members of your flock, past and present, stand out for you and why?

The members of my flock that stand out? Wow, there are so many because they each have their own personalities and voices and quirks. Above all would be Zane, my late crippled Barred Rock rooster. Zane always will be the love of my life, chicken-wise. Zane was the son of another great rooster, my very first one, Hawkeye, a gentleman to the core. Zane was crippled by an injury at about 18 weeks of age and we cared for him until his sudden, unexpected death at the age of 4 1/2. He got around using his one good leg and his wings as crutches. He watched over chicks out and about with their broody mamas, who always trusted him with their chicks. Zane literally crowed his way out of this world and we miss him every day. He never let his infirmity get him down, always a cheerful fellow with warm, kind eyes and a zest for life. He loved me and I adored him. And there is Gypsy, my almost 7 year old Black Ameraucana, who was Zane's favorite hen and best pal. She must be held every day, multiple times a day. I say there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth when I lose her. Then there was my big, sweet as a teddy bear Blue Orpington rooster, Suede, who died of natural causes just before his 6th hatch day. What a tough act to follow! I could go on and on but this would turn into a novel!

5. What was the funniest thing(s) that happened to you in your years as chicken owner?

There are so many weird, strange, surprising and funny things that happen to any chicken owner over a period of years that it's hard to pin down just a couple. I recall one incident that happened with Zane, though, that had me laughing out loud. His daily feed because he ate alone was Knockout Game Bird feed, a 12% protein 11-grain scratch, which contains as two of its grains two types of corn, one yellow whole kernal and one popcorn. He was served in a weighted dog bowl so with him resting his chest on it to eat, he didn't tip it over. Every morning, I'd remove the shavings from his bowl and pour him some fresh on top. He was so excited every day to get his breakfast and he'd thump over to the bowl and chow down. One time, the newly opened bag contained not the usual yellow corn, but ghost white corn. He'd been eating the same mix for his entire life and it rarely changed. That morning, I poured his portion as usual, he rushed over to his bowl, leaned in and literally froze, staring into the bowl. He didn't move until I said, "Zane, trust me, it's corn. C'mon, try it." He cocked his head and looked at me like, "What did you just give me?!" He didn't eat until I put my hand into it and stirred it around. After the first bite, he was fine, but boy, that white corn really freaked him out, LOL!

6. Beside chickens, what other pets do you keep?

Chickens are our only pets at this point. We had two dogs but they've gone on to their final rest now and we probably wont get another due to the expense.

7. Anything you'd like to add?

I cannot imagine my life without chickens now. They are truly amazing creatures. They have and know their names, each and every one. They have a dignity that we've been privileged to witness; for example, we see that dignity when the second in command watches over a head hen as she is fading, or the head hen guards the second in line if she is ailing. It's happening now in my Old Hens' Retirement Home & Hospice. They can be selfless. It is a surprising revelation, but yes, they can. I've seen it more than once, a hen literally stand at a feed bowl and deny herself food when a dying hen was trying to eat. The stories I could tell if I had time to write a book!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/u/348/speckledhen

See here for more about the interview feature and a complete list of member interviews: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/905602/introducing-vip-member-interviews/0_30

Last edited:
Family photos
Me with Rufus a couple of years ago; Rufus has gone to live and be adored in Kentucky now with Cetawin, who is more family than friend. This is rare and it's hard for me to post pictures of myself in later years, especially. I really, really hate photos of myself.

My sweet Isaac swinging with his Kentucky crush, Cetawin's daughter, Cheyenne. He was very taken with her the first time they met that weekend, as you can see. Ike is going on 6 years old now, one in a line of special roosters around this place. I tend to become attached to the roosters. Any idea why that is?

Me with Zane after my absence post ankle surgery about five years ago. Shattered it doing chicken chores in the snow. I sure missed my boy when I was housebound. I was in sitting in a wheelchair on the deck for the first time and Tom brought Zane to me for cuddles. I think I almost squeezed the breath out of him, but he didn't mind.

"Uncle" Zane watching over Shadow's babies. One of these chicks is our Fern, who we lost in March this year at the age of 5. Shadow left us in 2012 herself, the little Purple Princess we called her.

My dear, dear husband of almost 39 years. We met in college and were engaged within 3 weeks.

Me and the boys when they were very young

My two sons in January 2013
'

The homestead:

Last edited:
It's so exciting to "meet" you, speckledhen! I was so excited about the interviews that I submitted your name before reading the second post with the link to yours.
smile.png

How many chickens do you have and what breeds are they?
Aw, you're too sweet! I have about 48 birds at the moment, plus 7 bantam chicks and one black Plymouth Rock cockerel ( the latter eight will not be staying). Probably a third of that number are elderly, five to eight years old, and won't be with me much longer so, though the numbers are quite higher than we want, they will be leaving us one by one over the next couple of years, sadly. They've earned the right to live out their last days here in comfort, being spoiled as they've always been. The originals are long gone.

We have mostly Plymouth Rocks of one variety or another-the barreds, my favorites, and the blue, black and splash. Then, there are the Delawares and Dellie crosses, with a three old Ameraucana hens and three Easter Eggers. And we still have the Tiny Terrorist, who is in a category all her own. We have a breeding flock of Belgian D'Anvers in Mille Fleur and Porcelain as our only bantam breed, other than one lone bantam Cochin rooster, Xander, who lives with the four elderly Orpington hens who used to belong to the late, great Suede.

Adding some miscellaneous speckledhen weirdness for those who aren't already bored stiff, LOL:

I put my two sons through college by being a realtor for about 8 years. Both graduated from the college where their dad and I met.
I used to teach beginning sign language in the adult ed at the local high school my sons attended.
I rode with and was public relations officer for a local Christian motorcycle club in Dayton, Ohio. We rode with quite a few former Hell's Angels and Outlaws.
I was acquainted and casual friends with Mark David Chapman (only called Mark then, never Mark David), killer of John Lennon, in high school.

Oh, found a photo from one of the early motorcycle trips, pre-Goldwing.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom