BYC noob from Kentucky

KentuckyGal

Hatching
Oct 4, 2015
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I am totally new to BYC and having back yard chickens. Two summers ago we bought the house that my husband's paternal grandparents used to live in. On the property there is an old (think weathered barn look) chicken coop and a similar smokehouse. I don't think the coop is salvageable but maybe we could use the old materials as accent pieces in construction of a new one. I've been wandering through the coop section here to get ideas.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

Unless the three eggs in the fridge count, we have none.

(3) What breeds do you have?

n/a

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

I did a Google search for raising chickens in the back yard.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Blogging, writing, crafts

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I've been married 18+ years, and we have three children (18, 17 and 12) - so yeah, my Gravatar is really old. We have FAR TOO MANY DOGS AND CATS, and are working on getting most of them new forever homes. So protecting our future feathered family from the dogs and cats is a priority.

My FIL's farm was right next door to our property, but earlier this year his house burned to the ground and he is looking to sell that farm now. So our 'accessible land' will decrease somewhat when that parcel is sold, but we still have about 2 acres.

I would like eventually to get to the point where we produce as much of what we consume as possible.

Hello! I have had chickens growing up. Along with all the other fowl. My husband and I just bought our little farm. We traveled a lot due to his former job (Army) and as a farm girl I always talked about having chickens when we settle down. After ten years its happened! We are proud "owners" (they may own us
bow.gif
), of what is called a dual breed, Delewares and Welsummers. Good for meat and/or eggs. Boy do the Delewares grow fast! The Wellies grow pretty fast. Both are 22wks and we have just got our first eggs this week!! I am kind of leery now because the Delewares are a bigggg breed. Its hard to feel okay with a nest not knowing if all their fluff will fit. Like you, we are making use of a old sheep/goat shed turned unto a chicken house by previous owners. I really like our Wellies. Whatever you choose the journey will be interesting.

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! You have certainly come to the right place for all the help you will need to get your chicken journey started. BYC is a great place for all the poultry knowledge. The learning centre would be a great place for you to start, here is the link ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center There are lots of great articles to have a read through on all aspects of keeping poultry.

Wishing you the very best of luck in the future, be sure to ask any questions that you may have. Everyone here to help and very friendly.

Enjoy BYC :frow

Hi @KentuckyGal , welcome to BYC!

There are a lot of coop build stories under the Coop tab and the coop/run forum is a great place to ask questions. A couple of things we've found helpful with our coop is to make it as large as possible (chickens hate being crowded), make it tall enough so a person can stand up inside (makes it easier to clean) and make it as secure as possible (lots of things enjoy chicken dinners).

Good luck to you, thanks for joining us!

@AutumnSkye hello to you too!

Congratulations on getting your first eggs, that's always rewarding!

Back
Top Bottom