Ended BYC Writing Prompts! A Short Story Contest

Pics
Oh, the woes of a short-story writer.
And here I thought the woes stemmed from writing something under 1000 words.
Zelda - contemplating.gif

*Not an Entry, just wanted needed to share*
Prompt: AGSM (American Girl Stop Motion) Script.
Title: The Santa Cookie Caper

Effie: Is everybody here and ready?
Fran: Almost, just bringing in the cookies!
Nellie: I've got the hot cocoa!
Effie: Alright. Is everyone settled in?
Lissie: Aye aye matey!
Effie: Twas the night before Christmas and all through the house... From the top of the porch to the top of the wall... He had a broad face and a little round belly... And I heard him exclaim as he drove out of sight.
Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!
Kanani: Okay girls. Time to go to bed..
Fran: I just need to get the cookies for Santa
Becky: Oh, can I please put the frosting on?
Fran: Of course!
Kanani: What kind of cookies did you make this year Franny??
Fran: Christmas Eve Cookies. It's a new recipe I made up.
Lissy: Where is the milk? I can't find it! Boy is this fridge crowded!
Kanani: It's on the counter. I have to go help her. Lissie will never find it.
Tenney: Does everyone have their letters ready?
Miranda: Goodnight everyone. Merry Xmas eve!
Sakura: what did you ask Santa for?
Tenney: a whiter Christmas
Lissy: I can't wait to see what Santa brings me
Sakura: What did you wish for?
Lissy: a surprise !
Lissie: What was that?
Effie: it must have been Santa.
Kanani: Wait minute to let him get back up the chimney.
Fran: yeah. We certainly don't want to be put on the naughty list!
Becky: I think he's gone.
Effie: okay. Let's go see.
Lissie: That was not the surprise I was expecting!
Kanani: oh no! What happened?
Effie: it looks like he fell asleep
Fran: A reeally deep sleep
Becky: Must have been the milk & cookies. Warm milk will do that to you.
Fran: or the cookies. What did you put in them?
Becky: I used the Xmas eve tea.
Effie: oh no! That's double strength chamomile tea! He'll be out till new years day!
Kanani: What are we going to do? How will all of his presents get delivered?
Felicity: I'll captain this expedition. How hard could it be to drive a sleigh?
Effie: Lissie, you've never even sailed a real boat, let alone a flying sleigh! Besides, how will we get up on the housetop?
Felicity: The same way as Santa, of course. Then laying a finger aside of his nose and giving a nod up the chimney he rose. Well, Mateys, it looks like captain lissie needs a ladder
Fran: ooh, I'll help. I love midnight shenanigans.
Kanani: Lissie, are you and Fannie OK up there?
Lissie and Fran: HO HO HO giggles
Nellie: What's all the commotion? Who's … Aah, Why is Santa DEAD in our living room?
Effie: Don't worry, he's just asleep.
Kanani : A really DEEP sleep.
Effie: Lissie is on the roof assessing the sleigh situation with Fannie.
Nellie: Lissie and Fannie are on the roof? How'd they get up there?
Kanani: A ladder
Effie: a TALL ladder
Effie: This is no time for jollification girls. What are you going to do?
Lissie: It looks like a big job, Maybe one more girl and we can get these all delivered.
Kanani: count me out, I get carsick
Nellie: Ooh, I want to go!
Effie: Do you really think that's a good idea?
Kanani: It Is a better idea than giving Santa a sleeping potion.
Effie: OK, good luck!
Lisie: On dasher on dancer
Fran: on prancer on vixen
Nellie: on comet on cupid
All: on Donner and blitzen
Fannie: Where's Rudolph?
Lissie: He's just a legend
Nellie: We're back
Fannie: It was amazing!
Lissie: looks like we still have one last delivery
Effie: it's going to take all 4 of us to get that bowl full of jelly out to the sleigh.
Lissie: OK girls on 12
Fran: Why 12
lissie: For the 12 days of Christmas
Nellie: Ok girls, on 3. 1 2 3
Effie: Be back soon! You all are out way past your curfew.
Lissi: dash away dash away dash away all!
Mrs C: There he is! I was wondering what was taking him so long.
Elf: Mrs Claus, are you sure? That doesn't look like...
Lissie: Ho HO HO!!
Fran: Wow, Look at the beautiful houses! The elves must live there.
Lissi: There is the barn. Careful Donner, don't drop the sleigh.
Nellie: I'll take the reigns from here.
Mrs. C: Oh, girls let me help you get him from the sleigh. My goodness, nothing like this has ever happened before!
Fran: Don't worry Mrs Claus. All of the deliveries are done!
Mrs C: Oh my, what ever caused this?
Fran: I'm afraid I caused the Claus to pause.
Lissie: She made some delicious Christmas eve cookies that were quite soporific.
Nellie: To put it mildly.
Fran: He'll wake up in the morning bright and squirrely. Don't worry.
Mrs. Clause: It looks like you girls need to get yourselves to bed so you can be up bright and squirrelly. Hop on in the sleigh and I'll be right back with some cocoa for the ride home.
Nellie: Wow, thank you Mrs. Claus.
Fran: I hope I don't get put on the naughty list next year.
Mrs. Claus: Certainly not dear. You three girls saved Christmas! Santa might be tempted to promote you to head elf.
lissi: Really?
Mrs. Clause: Oh yes. The elves don't just live up here. We have helpers all over the world. Not many are as young as you though.
Lissi: Well, Captain Lissi Elf is at your service any time Mrs. C.
Nellie: Who was the elf that was with you Mrs.Claus.
Mrs. Clause: That was Jingle Bell Jane. I've been teaching her how to tie fancy Christmas bows to put on all of the presents. Well, it looks like we've arrived.
Fran: Thank you so much for the ride Mrs. Claus. That was really fun.
Nellie: This has been the most special Christmas Ever.
Lissie: Aye aye! That sleigh ride was better than 3 ships sailing in.
Mrs Claus: You girls get inside before it's Christmas day in the morning. Here Captain Lissie – Jingle Bell Jane would want you to have this. And thank you again for all your hard work!
Nellie: It was our pleasure! Merry Christmas!
Fran: And a happy new year!
Lissie: Wassail!
Nellie: Lissie, you know that Wassail doesn't have anything to do with sailing.
Lissie: Really?
Fran: Yeah, it's a hot cider and punch drink.
Lissie: Oh, then it definitely has to do with sailing.
Nellie: Merry Christmas.
Lissie and Fran: Merry Christmas

Prompt: Historical Fiction
Title: Holiday Escape

Karl’s first thought when he woke on Christmas morning was the gifts from St. Nick that were sure to be in his stocking. Braving the cold, he jumped out of bed and pattered down the old creaky wooden staircase to the big fireplace in the living room. The stockings were hanging on the mantle, just as they had been last night, but the look on Karl’s face as he realized that they hung limp and empty was almost unbearable. As he stood in dumb amazement, his mother hurried up from the cellar, two baskets on her arm. “Oh, Karl dear, don’t stand here with no shoes. You’ll catch cold, and we must leave this minute.” “Leave?” echoed Karl, his disappointment forgotten. “Run and get dressed”, ordered his mother, “then you can help me load the car”. Karl soon returned and having got well bundled by his cautious mother, lugged and pulled the four small trunks into the backseat of the Volkswagen. When he had finished with this exhausting task he stumbled back inside. His sister Hilda was removing a kettle from the stove. “Here’s your soup”. She ladled it into a bowl and Karl gulped it down greedily as soon as it had cooled enough. Karl’s big brother Johann came in as he finished, stomping the snow from his boots. “Listen, buddy”, he hailed his younger brother. “We’re going on a trip. If anyone asks you where you’re going, say you’re going to visit your grandparents, okay?” Karl nodded in acknowledgment and licked the bowl clean before tossing it into his sister’s lap. He wondered what was going on. Life has been so strange these last few months, what with his father going away with many other men and pieces of furniture disappearing one by one. They hadn’t even been able to go to school because the teacher had vanished. Karl choked back a tear as he thought of all this. But there was no time for grief. Johann came running into the house again and whispered something to his mother about “soldiers”, “the Fuhrer”, and “danger”. “Hilda and Karl!” snapped their mother, “get into the car and don’t get out of it! Johann, you go too; I’m locking up”. “What’s going on?” Karl wailed as they settled themselves in the car. “Why are we leaving without Daddy?” Hilda began to sob at the mention of their father but Johann looked steadily at his little brother before explaining, “Daddy will come later. He wants us to leave now because a bad man is coming to take me away and Daddy doesn’t want that. So we’re going on a trip, and remember, if someone asks, tell them you’re going to visit your grandparents.” Karl reached over to hug his brother. “You’ll stay with me, won’t you?” he pleaded. Johann smiled faintly but did not reply. Their mother came out of the house, looking decidedly upset. She locked the door and got into the waiting car. “You may go, Johann”. She turned to the children. “Promise me that you will not cry until we reach the shining blue sea”. She commanded. “We promise!” Hilda and Karl chorused solemnly. As Johann guided the Volkswagen down the road, Karl looked back at his home - the big brick house with long icicles hanging from the roof and the dark green fir trees framing it on either side like sentinels. When the familiar scene had disappeared, Karl forced back a cry of longing for his father and anger at the bad man who wanted to take his brother. Then, like his mother, sister, and brother he set his face stubbornly toward the unknown.

Prompt: Fiction
Title: My dad was DB Cooper?

One day a number of years ago, I was looking through the newspaper. There was an article about DB cooper in the newspaper. The photo was of a drawing someone made of DB Cooper, but the photo was elongated unlike other sketches I had seen of DB Cooper. DB Cooper the newspaper said, if he had survived the jump from the airplane he may have had broken legs. I remembered back to a cold rainy, November night, 1971, my dad came home with broken ribs, from a car accident, he said he had. And not long after sold the VW van, although I don't recall any damage. I do remember reading in the paper the story of the hijacking and my sister and I, (children) laughed and said the drawing looked like our dad. My dad read the paper out loud, in the paper, the flight attendant said DB wanted to take her with him. My dad chuckled and said, "SHE asked ME to take her with ME..." My sister and I just chuckled at the time, my dad loved making up stories and joked around. Years later reading in the newspaper about the hunt for DB Cooper brought it all my memories back. I pulled out a picture of my dad, and looked the picture, and the newspaper drawing looked the same. My husband came home from work and headed for the fridge, I told him, about the article in the paper and how the picture looked like my dad. "Unhuh." came the unenthusiastic response from my husband, used to hairbrained, and conspiracy theories coming from my direction. "Do you have any other reasons why you would think your dad is DB Cooper?" He asked, with a sigh. (Knowing this could be longwinded...) "Well," I said, "He was in the air force, and had jumped from planes there. He also worked at Boeing, building airplanes, and the name the person who hijacked the plane, chose the name, "Cooper," a cooper is a barrel maker, and sometimes planes are considered barrels, (barrel roll is a move a plane makes.) Also the first name of DB was not DB, it was actually Dan, which is close to "ANDerson." My husband asked "Why would he pick a name that he could get caught if he was DB Cooper?" I told him on some level, criminals want to be caught, or come close to being caught, it adds to the excitement of being a criminal. "So..."My husband asked, "Do you really think your dad was DB Cooper?" I blinked my eyes, and I said..."No."

Last edited:
Title: My dad was DB Cooper?
One day a number of years ago, I was looking through the newspaper. There was an article about DB cooper in the newspaper. The photo was of a drawing someone made of DB Cooper, but the photo was elongated unlike other photo's I had seen of DB Cooper. DB Cooper the newspaper said, if he had survived the jump from the airplane he may have had broken legs. I remembered back to a cold rainy, November night, 1971, my dad came home with broken ribs, from a car accident, he said he had. And not long after sold the VW van, although I don't recall any damage. I do remember reading in the paper the story of the hijacking and my sister and I, (children) laughed and said the drawing looked like our dad. My dad read the paper out loud, in the paper, the flight attendant said DB wanted to take her with him. My dad chuckled and said, "SHE asked ME to take her with ME..." My sister and I just chuckled at the time, my dad loved making up stories and joked around. Years later reading in the newspaper about the hunt for DB Cooper brought it all my memories back. I pulled out a picture of my dad, and looked the picture, and the newspaper drawing looked the same. My husband came home from work and headed for the fridge, I told him, about the article in the paper and how the picture looked like my dad. "Unhuh." came the unenthusiastic response from my husband, used to hairbrained, and conspiracy theories coming from my direction. "Do you have any other reasons why you would think your dad is DB Cooper?" He asked, with a sigh. (Knowing this could be longwinded...) "Well," I said, "He was in the air force, and had jumped from planes there. He also worked at Boeing, building airplanes, and the name the person who hijacked the plane, chose the name, "Cooper," a cooper is a barrel maker, and sometimes planes are considered barrels, (barrel roll is a move a plane makes.) Also the first name of DB was not DB, it was actually Dan, which is close to "ANDerson." My husband asked "Why would he pick a name that he could get caught if he was DB Cooper?" I told him on some level, criminals want to be caught, or come close to being caught, it adds to the excitement of being a criminal. "So..."My husband asked, "Do you really think your dad was DB Cooper?" I blinked my eyes, and I said..."No."
Hey, what's the prompt? :p
Include the prompt & the title of your story at the top of your post.

Prompt: AGSM (american girl stop motion) script
Title: Shabby's amazing comedy version of The Princess and The Pea.

Narrator: Once upon a time in a far away kingdom there lived a king, a queen, and their picky prince. He picked flowers. He picked tunes. He pick nicked. He picked a peck of pickled peppers. But there were 2 things he could never pick. His nose and a princess.

Queen: Why are you picking at your food dear?

Prince: Some day I will find a perfect princess, and I will pick her.

King: Eat up son, or you won't be able to find any princess.

Queen: How was your visit with Princess Adrianna?

Prince: Well, all I can say is, she certainly doesn't have a green thumb. She has 10 perfectly manicured nails painted a shocking pink which she adamantly refuses to come in contact with a weed. Her idea of a garden is a boulder in a sandbox.

King: Oh well. How is your garden coming along?

Prince: It's a muddy mess. It is the very model of a muddy major muddled mess. The pea vines have encroached upon my flower beds.

Queen: Did you enjoy your musical evening with princess Henrietta?

Prince: Just the memory makes my head ache. Henrietta squawked like a rooster with a cold, and she can't carry a tune in a bushel basket.

Queen: Don't worry dear, some day a true princess will come knocking at your door.

King: What have you done about the pea vines?

Prince: I picked them of course. And sent them to the kitchen. The scullery maid dropped the basket and they rolled all over the hallways.

Queen: And did you help the poor girl pick them up?

Prince: I helped her catch the errant peas, though some escaped and are fugitive under the furniture. I do wish I could find my princess.

Queen: Oh my, what a thunderstorm.

King: It's a good thing you had to get those peas out today. Otherwise they would have been all muddy.

Queen: I wonder who that could be?
Servant: There is a young maiden dripping on your doorstep your highness. She says she is a princess.

Queen: There's always one way to find out. Please see her in.

King: Oh my, she really is drenched.

Prince: May I help you with your cloak?

Queen: Please come in. Do sit down – you must be cold. Have a hot cup of cocoa. Now what is your name?

Magnolia: Magnolia, your majesty. Thank you ever so much.

Prince: Magnificent Magnolia

King: How did you come to be so... so muddy my dear?

Magnolia: My carriage overturned on the road and when I got out the heavens opened and released the second deluge.

Queen: It is getting rather late. Perhaps you should spend the night here. I'll send help to your carriage.

Prince: I shall pick the perfect guest room for you. It overlooks the garden.

Magnolia: Oh, I do love gardens. I saw the remnants of some particularly splendid pea vines as I came to the palace. Alas, with the storm it was quite muddy.

King Those voluptuous vines were the pride and joy of Percy here.

Magnolia: It's a pity they had to come in so soon. They would have taken first at the fair next week.

Queen: Speaking of faires, before we turn in for the night, Percy will you play us the song that you are preparing for the faire?

Prince: Sitting by the roadside on a summer's day
Chatting with my mess-mates, passing time away
Lying in the shadows underneath the trees
Goodness, how delicious, eating goober peas.

Prince & Magnolia:
Peas, peas, peas, peas
Eating goober peas
Goodness, how delicious,
Eating goober peas.

King:Quite lovely son.

Queen: What a sweet duet you sang. Very jaunty together. Well, goodnight gentlemen. Now, Magnolia dear, come with me and I will show you to your chambers.

Magnolia:Thank you your majesty for your kindness.

Queen: Don't mention it.

Servant: The room is ready your majesty.

Queen: Thank you Sukie. I will just make a little inspection of it. There now, Magnolia. I do hope you have a good sound sleep tonight. Sweet dreams.

Magnolia:Goodnight, your majesty. How.... interesting. I wonder how I'm going to get up there.

Prince: Good morning Mother. Did you sleep well?

Queen: Indeed I did son. I wonder how Magnolia slept. Hopefully like a princess. You two were quite charming together last night.

King: Speaking of the Princess, has anyone seen her this morning?

Magnolia enters

Magnolia: Oh dear, I am sorry I am late this morning. I tossed and turned all over that bed until I discovered the object of my discomfort. I do wonder how a pea to be under all 20 mattresses. I suppose the scullery maid must have dropped them and it rolled up the stairs.

Queen: I knew you were a real princess. That's why I put the pea under the mattresses. I think Percy might have something to say to you about that.

Prince: Princess Magnolia. Will you be my sweet pea?

Magnolia:I didn't think I had to turn into a different flower, but yes. I couldn't have picked a better prince.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom