Ended BYC's 15th Annual New Year's Day Hatch-Along—2024—Winter on the Farm Photo Contest

May I ask, how 🤔 is taking care of guineas in winter?
Since they're from Africa 🌍 :) 😀 and all.

In my experience, they're hardy birds. They've been handling winters better than my ducks and chickens; only my geese have them beat.

BUT . . . I coop my guineas at night, and I keep them confined to the coop during very cold days. They can't move when it gets into the single digits - they'll fly out of the coop like normal, but as soon as they're out of the relative shelter of the hoop coop and hit the winter air, they slow to a crawl until they completely stop. Any predator could walk up to them and start eating them alive if desired. It scared me the first time it happened, and I ran around scooping up guineas where they lay and tossing them back in the coop, where they revived as though nothing had happened. It happened a few more times before I decided to quit letting them out at anything below 15 to avoid gifting the wildlife a motionless guinea buffet.

The  worst part of winter guineas is the feed bill. You never realize how much they feed themselves during the warmer months until suddenly you're dealing with a dearth of bugs and a flock of ravenously hungry tiny African dinosaurs.

Cat Tick GIF by Stephen Maurice Graham

Last day to get your entries in. This contest ends tonight at 11:59 pm Pacific time. :)

@mrskenmore
Olivia Jade is not a fan of snow lol - Entry #1
IMG_9791 (1).JPG

@MamaWolf7
PXL_20230315_185932258.jpg

I had to dig the roosting bar out from 5' of hard packed snow for these boys to enjoy some afternoon sunshine. They are Husky (left), Dalmatian (center) and Tortoise (right).

@fowltemptress

1000012643.jpg

There's not a lot of snow, but it hurts to be outside too long! I wish I had a built-in downy coat like these guys.

@Quacking ducks
#1 Chicken Alfredo and the other chickens like the snow sometimes
77C39EA2-347E-4679-A1A1-765D0DC9F5AC.jpeg

@Poultrybonkers

@Shabby Chic-Hens
Bitcoin hates the snow
CBC54B9C-8914-4599-A8AA-A637DF79B059.jpeg

@CrazyForMyPeeps802
Entry #1

Roo my handsome sizzle rooster💙
DSC_4900.jpg

@chickenlover8969
entry 2 title: brrr it's cold out here!
99835278-AD7A-417A-B76A-2145131B1067.jpeg

@HeritageFan
Sweetgrass toms experiencing their first snow
01EAC17F-C989-4841-BCB2-1BAE10811DCA.jpeg

@chickenmomma41
Jabba and Attila (and friends) enjoying some cracked corn.

20240101_100630.jpg

@mrskenmore, @MamaWolf7, @fowltemptress, @Quacking ducks, @Poultrybonkers, @Shabby Chic-Hens, @CrazyForMyPeeps802, @chickenlover8969, @HeritageFan, & @chickenmomma41, I will be sending you instructions on how to claim your prizes momentarily!
thank you.png

A HUGE THANK YOU to all who participated, this wouldn't have been possible without all of your entries!!!! :bow :clap

Great job everyone, this was so much fun!! :wee

~ Shout out to all judges who took the time to judge this contest. I know it was incredibly difficult to judge, and I appreciate all of you! ~

And THANK YOU to our BYC Sponsors (click to view & support them)

Back
Top Bottom