Ended BYC's Splendid Spring Flowers Photo Contest

Pics
Entry #1
PXL_20220502_173553809.PORTRAIT.jpg

I don't recognize these, please identify? Is this mesquite?
This is the Cassia Fistula, or Golden Shower tree. It's native to India and SE Asia. My next door neighbors are Thai and they have a wonderful assortment of trees and plants that would not normally grow here. This tree grew from a planting that came from Mrs. Neighbor's childhood house in Thailand, and she spent years babying it. A beautiful tree, but dear lord it's messy when it drops leaves and flowers.

This is the Cassia Fistula, or Golden Shower tree. It's native to India and SE Asia. My next door neighbors are Thai and they have a wonderful assortment of trees and plants that would not normally grow here. This tree grew from a planting that came from Mrs. Neighbor's childhood house in Thailand, and she spent years babying it. A beautiful tree, but dear lord it's messy when it drops leaves and flowers.
Thank you. My brother in Tucson had I think either a manzanita or a mesquite tree that had tiny yellow flowers. One year when I was visiting it seemed they all dropped at once. I noticed them like a carpet as I left very early in the morning, still dark, to go to work. The ants were starting to carry them off. When I got home 12 hours later there was hardly a single one left to be seen, the ants had carried them all underground. Pretty neat!

Thank you. My brother in Tucson had I think either a manzanita or a mesquite tree that had tiny yellow flowers. One year when I was visiting it seemed they all dropped at once. I noticed them like a carpet as I left very early in the morning, still dark, to go to work. The ants were starting to carry them off. When I got home 12 hours later there was hardly a single one left to be seen, the ants had carried them all underground. Pretty neat!
Manzanita have pale white or pink flowers that are kinda bell shaped. Palo Verde and mesquite have yellow flowers, and the Palo Verde flowers look kinda similar to this. Mesquite have either a yellow cluster of flowers that looks like a bottle brush, or they have smaller blossoms that look like a spiky little yellow puffball. Here's a Palo Verde. I don't have a good image of a mesquite in bloom, but you would never forget it if that was it. The smell is totally unique. Kinda like peppery dirt.

_DSC2979.jpg

Manzanita have pale white or pink flowers that are kinda bell shaped. Palo Verde and mesquite have yellow flowers, and the Palo Verde flowers look kinda similar to this. Mesquite have either a yellow cluster of flowers that looks like a bottle brush, or they have smaller blossoms that look like a spiky little yellow puffball. Here's a Palo Verde. I don't have a good image of a mesquite in bloom, but you would never forget it if that was it. The smell is totally unique. Kinda like peppery dirt.

View attachment 3094553
That might have been it. He doesn't live there any more but maybe he remembers. I'll ask him. Anyway, that's a beautiful tree you posted, and thank you for sharing the story of its travels! ❤️

Back
Top Bottom