cabinet incubators; buy vs make?

oldcluck

Chirping
8 Years
May 16, 2011
I am thinking of either buying or making a cabinet incubator for next spring. $700 for a sportsman is a lot of money.
However having recently built a rabbit hutch I now realize it doesn't take long to put a $100 in a small amount of lumber. So my question is for those who have built a cabinet incubator recently. How much cash were you out in total? Lets assume you had to purchase all the lumber and hardware. My thinking is that if i will be out more than $300 for materials for a home built incubator then my money would be better spent towards buying a proven design like the sportsman. If I build one I would probably use the digital unit designed for cabinet incubators selling for $99
Thanks

Over $300.00 to build a sportsman sized incubator with auto turn . Unless your using salvaged materials. Build it on paper first . Make detailed material and source list to price it out.

About $225 into it, with most being bought on Craigslist. Wine-fridge was free on craigslist and he even delivered to me....works great...Like Hatchcraft said, make list and if in no rush just keep gathering materials as cheap as you can. I even found one of my turners at a garage sale for $5 and they didnt even know what it was...

Last edited:
I built mine using standard stuffs buying at Homedepot and a fan bought at goodwill ($3). The thermostat is the $14 on ebay, egg turner using my schematic posted here a while back. I use egg cartons to hold eggs and my incubator capacity is 216 eggs large or small. I built it the way it can use GQF trays. Under $100.

Back
Top Bottom